From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Hongbo Zhang <hzhang295@bloomberg.net>
Cc: marshall@logical.net, caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Change policy on beginners list?
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 14:10:17 -0400	[thread overview]

As an irregular contributor to the ocaml beginners list, I share the
dislike of yahoo lists. I would be happy to keep contributing with an
email-based workflow, and it seems that Google groups would indeed be
an improvement (I don't know about the chatroom solutions that Hongbo
has in mind).

I have a personal preference for open and open-source-based solutions,
but Google groups is no worse than Yahoo groups in this respect (and
better in most others), and the use of a standard communication
protocol (email) gives freedom in letting other participants choose
their stack.
StackOverflow also plays a useful role for beginners and I'm glad that
the OCaml community usefully engages people there. (We have to answer
beginners where they are.)