From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>
Cc: Andreas Rossberg <rossberg@mpi-sws.org>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] A shallow option type
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 19:11:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Thanks for the clearer use-case example.

I think Andreas's comment is at a general level of language design:
no, we don't want to add something close to what you're asking for in
a language. His argumentation is spot on. What we could have is a type
system with strong update, but that's dreaming about another language,
not OCaml.

In your case, have you considered having a private option type, that
would be allocated by a call to a C primitive (building a genuine
OCaml option, but outside the heap) instead of (Some foo) on the OCaml
side? That would be completely safe, and you could still safely match
it on the OCaml side.

That said, it's only pushing the problem one step further: now you
still need to allocate your Unit.t value outside the OCaml heap,
otherwise you still have this problem. Is it the case in your
application?