A nice quality of in-code comments that a video session does not have is locality: the explanations are closed to the explainees, so hopefully they can evolve in synch. Another nice quality (shared with blog posts) is that it can be proposed by third-parties and crowd-sourced with moderate efficiency: you can help document the OCaml implementation by sending a pull-request with comments on the parts you fought to understand. This has notably been done by Alain Frisch for the parsetree representation during the 4.01 development phase, and recently (4.03 development cycle, GPR#310) in types.mli and typedtree.mli by Frédéric Bour, Gabriel Radanne and Thomas Refis, with helpful feedback from Alain Frisch and Jacques Garrigue. Anyone can help by submitting their own contribution to documentation-as-comments. On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote: > On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:04:17PM -0500, Yotam Barnoy wrote: > > While thinking about the best way to learn the new Flambda code in the > > minimal amount of time, I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be amazing to > > have Pierre Chambart and Mark Shinwell just do a video walkthrough of > their > > code". And then I thought about the rest of the codebase, about Jacques > > Garrigue doing a walkthrough of the typechecker code, and each expert(s) > > talking about the parts they know really well, and about how amazing it > > would be if we had this resource on youtube. It would be the ultimate > form > > of documentation by the foremost experts on aspects OCaml, welcoming > > programmers to contribute to the OCaml compiler in the easiest way > possible. > > > > A step further would be if this was done on Twitch or some similar live > > broadcasting platform, so people could actually ask live questions as the > > session took place. The resulting video would be posted to youtube. > > > > What do you guys think? > > > > -Yotam > > I would watch that. > > MfG > Goswin > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >