I guess I'm not modern enough to feel comfortable using alloca (or variable-length arrays) in my code :-) On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote: > On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 03:00:57PM +0100, immanuel litzroth wrote: > > Yes, I've used that solution too, keeping a static fixed string around, > > it's just not very nice and will break if it's ever multithreaded. > > You shouldn't make the string static, and we do *not* do that in > libguestfs. You should simply allocate it on the stack. This is > thread safe. > > Also on the bug it was stated: > > > The stack-based solutions rely on guessing arbitrary size limits on > > the dynamic strings, which is often possibles but sometimes > > inconvenient/inelegant. > > but this is not true either. You can use alloca to allocate a > variable sized string on the stack. > > As Xavier Leroy says, fixing this is not necessary, although there's > perhaps a usability argument. > > Rich. > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >