From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: orbifx <fox@orbitalfox.eu>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Announcing Sek, an efficient implementation of sequences
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 15:56:58 +0200	[thread overview]

I don't have strong opinion against mail-based contributions (I suspect
they are perceived as less beginner-friendly by newer contributors who have
grown up in the web-interface-based-world, but that's a discussion for
another time). The problem here is that a select group of contributors can
use a certain contribution procedure (here: Merge Requests), and external
contributors have to use a different approach (email or issue-based), or
ask permission to use the first-group's approach. In this setting the
second approach is *objectively* second-class, and this difference
objectively sucks.

There are other places that host Gitlab instances without this restriction.

The restriction is originally caused by design issues in Gitlab, which ties
"sending a Merge Request" with "having a fork on the same server" (which
paranoid sysadmins want to forbid to public users as it may create
resource-consumption issues). Gitlab is working on making it possible to
open a Merge Request by just sending a patch (
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/creating_merge_requests.html#new-merge-request-by-email-core-only
), and maybe some other git-host server will rise to visibility with a
better federation story ( https://sourcehut.org/ ?).

(If you are interested in hosting a web platform for git hosting, I'm told
that gitea ( https://gitea.io/ ) is much easier to deploy than Gitlab.)