* [Caml-list] Determination of the identification for the last started background process
@ 2021-01-06 14:05 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-06 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

The programming language “OCaml” supports also to start a background process
by the function “Unix.system”.
How can the corresponding process identification be determined?

I would appreciate your advices.

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Caml-list] Determination of the identification for the last started background process
@ 2021-01-06 14:41 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2021-01-06 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: caml users

You may be looking for the

  Unix.create_process

function:
https://ocaml.org/releases/4.11/htmlman/libref/Unix.html#1_Highlevelprocessandredirectionmanagement

@ 2021-01-09 16:08   ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

> You may be looking for the
>
>   Unix.create_process

This function needs more input parameters than “Unix.system”.
https://ocaml.org/releases/4.11/htmlman/libref/UnixLabels.html#VALcreate_process

Now I am curious which datum should be passed for the argument “stdin”
if a program should be executed as a child process without extra standard input?

@ 2021-01-09 16:33     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2021-01-09 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: caml users

My understanding is that if "prog" is the name of the program to run, then

  Unix.system (Filename.quote_command prog args)

is equivalent to

  Unix.create_process prog args ~stdin:Unix.stdin ~stdout:Unix.stdout
~stderr:Unix.stderr

or (shorter)

  Unix.(create_process prog args ~stdin ~stdour ~stderr)

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 5:08 PM Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@web.de> wrote:

> > You may be looking for the
> >
> >   Unix.create_process
>
> This function needs more input parameters than “Unix.system”.
>
> https://ocaml.org/releases/4.11/htmlman/libref/UnixLabels.html#VALcreate_process
>
> Now I am curious which datum should be passed for the argument “stdin”
> if a program should be executed as a child process without extra standard
> input?
>
> Regards,
> Markus

* Re: [Caml-list] Creation of a child process without extra standard input?
@ 2021-01-09 16:43       ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

> My understanding is that if "prog" is the name of the program to run, then
>
>   Unix.system (Filename.quote_command prog args)
>
> is equivalent to
>
>   Unix.create_process prog args ~stdin:Unix.stdin ~stdout:Unix.stdout ~stderr:Unix.stderr

Thanks for another feedback.

But I wonder how it fits to the programming concern for the omission of a standard input selection
(because an input file would be specified within the data for the parameter “args”).

@ 2021-01-09 16:44       ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2021-01-09 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 5:34 PM Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My understanding is that if "prog" is the name of the program to run, then
>
>   Unix.system (Filename.quote_command prog args)
>
> is equivalent to
>
>   Unix.create_process prog args ~stdin:Unix.stdin ~stdout:Unix.stdout
> ~stderr:Unix.stderr

Not quite: args should be Array.of_list (prog :: args).  Argument number 0
is, by Unix convention, the name of the program.

The original poster may be looking for the Unix.open_process family of
functions.

- Xavier Leroy

@ 2021-01-09 16:52         ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-09 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

> The original poster may be looking for the Unix.open_process family of functions.

This looks unlikely when these function variants do not return an identification
for the started child process.

@ 2021-01-09 17:26     ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2021-01-09 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer, caml-list

> Am 09.01.2021 um 17:08 schrieb Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@web.de>:
>

>> You may be looking for the
>>
>>   Unix.create_process
>
> This function needs more input parameters than “Unix.system”.
> https://ocaml.org/releases/4.11/htmlman/libref/UnixLabels.html#VALcreate_process
>
> Now I am curious which datum should be passed for the argument “stdin”
> if a program should be executed as a child process without extra standard input?
[...]

It would be much easier to point you to the right functions, if you would give some  more details on what you want to do, e.g. an example command that you want to use, and to tell us, if you want to pass data into it or read data from it, and so on.
The less information you provide, the fuzzier / general the anwers.

It might also interest you, that there is a seperated manual on how to do unix-programming with OCaml.

Ciao,
  Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Determination of the identification for the last started background process
@ 2021-01-09 17:29           ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2021-01-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Elfring; +Cc: Xavier Leroy, caml-list

> Am 09.01.2021 um 17:52 schrieb Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@web.de>:
>

>> The original poster may be looking for the Unix.open_process family of functions.
>
> This looks unlikely when these function variants do not return an identification
> for the started child process.

Do you mean the process ID, when talking about "an identification"?
Do you really need it?

You may want to look for fork, exec and pipe....

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Determination of the identification for the last started background process
@ 2021-01-09 17:52       ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer, caml-list

>> https://ocaml.org/releases/4.11/htmlman/libref/UnixLabels.html#VALcreate_process
>>
>> Now I am curious which datum should be passed for the argument “stdin”
>> if a program should be executed as a child process without extra standard input?
> [...]
>
> It would be much easier to point you to the right functions,

Thanks for your growing development interest.

> if you would give some  more details on what you want to do,

I became interested in the safe handling of commands for PostScript viewers.

> e.g. an example command that you want to use, and to tell us, if you want to pass data into it or read data from it, and so on.

Would you like to add any comments to background information
which was provided for code review with the commit “add error checking” (from 2020-12-24)
for an evolving software?
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/commit/4127b5546ccd929ae017565e710a3c9092f0bb0c

@ 2021-01-09 18:00             ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-09 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: Xavier Leroy, caml-list

> Do you mean the process ID, when talking about "an identification"?

Yes.

> Do you really need it?

I imagine that a PID will be needed so that a corresponding wait function call
can be performed finally.
https://ocaml.org/releases/4.11/htmlman/libref/UnixLabels.html#VALwaitpid

Regards,
Markus

* Re: [Caml-list] Specification of an input file for a child process
@ 2021-01-10  9:00       ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2021-01-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel, caml-list; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer

> The less information you provide, the fuzzier / general the anwers.
>
> It might also interest you, that there is a seperated manual on how to do unix-programming with OCaml.

I stumbled on general function properties for this programming interface.

* Which process should open an input file for a child process?

* Which functions do return an identification (a PID) for the started child process accordingly?

Regards,
Markus