From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Sam Kuper <sampablokuper@posteo.net>, caml-list@inria.fr
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 22:06:51 +0100	[thread overview]

With my OCaml Foundation hat on, let me give credit where credit is due:
the Foundation wasn't actually involved in creating or maintaining the
Discourse forum. It was an initiative of Anil Madhavapeddy, and the list of
administrators and moderators is publicly available:
  https://discuss.ocaml.org/about

The fact that Discourse offers hosting for the forum reduces the
administration work quite a bit. We may not have this forum at all if we
had decided that self-hosting was a requirement.

I don't personally have a strong opinion on whether the usage of forums is
a good or bad thing, but I can only remark that while some people are more
comfortable with the mailing-list (or forced to use them for accessibility
reason, which is not the same thing at all), some other people are not
comfortable with mailing-lists anymore. Having only a mailing-list would
also cut us from a fraction of the community in practice. I think that
having both is maybe not ideal, but a good compromise. (At least people
don't feel like they have to be on Twitter or Facebook or Discord to be
well-integrated in the OCaml community. I was going to joke about TikTok,
but actually there is OCaml stuff on TikTok.)

If you know people who would be willing to work on improving the
accessibility of Discourse, we should think about funding this work. Please
get in touch!