From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: "Christoph Höger" <christoph.hoeger@tu-berlin.de>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Re-entrant OCaml
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 13:26:57 -0500	[thread overview]

My understanding is that the OCaml runtime is thread-safe (and when you use
native-threads you do get an OCaml process with several hardware threads),
but that it uses a big runtime lock that guarantees that only one thread at
a time can run OCaml code (the others are free to do whatever). You should
be able to safely use existing OCaml in a multi-threaded application, but
depending on how it is used it may result in a concurrency bottleneck.

(I'll let more informed others comment on the state of re-entrant runtimes.)