From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 19:25:54 +0200	[thread overview]

> There's always https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list
> (full archives since 09/1992, yeah!)

This archive is excellent in term of content, but it is an absolute
pain to use as an interface. My workflow to refer someone to a
mailing-list conversation I remember is to search for it in my
mailbox, find the posting date, and then navigate the archive from
this date.

The search feature in particular is completely unusable. For example I
recently wanted to refer to an old message of mine about the various
LLVM port, written in the thread about SystemZ. I find it absolutely
impossible to find this thread by searching for either LLVM or SystemZ
through the archive interface.

I have no idea who can tweak the list settings and whether this is
even possible (I somehow doubt that the search ability can be made to
work), but here is a minor change that would already considerably
improve the usability of the archive:
  getting rid of the paging of the month's threads
For example, august 2015 mailing-list threads are split between 9
pages which makes them unnecessarily painful to navigate.