Note that you can also use opam config exec --switch= -- to execute a command with a local switch choice. This is very helpful in contexts where you don't exactly remember how to setup the environment (eg. when prompted for an in-Emacs compilation command), or you want to play with several versions alternatively in a single terminal (testing a regression in new OCaml versions). On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Louis Gesbert wrote: > Le jeudi 18 septembre 2014, 17:20:37 Yotam Barnoy a écrit : > > > I have a question about opam. I would like to play with certain compiler > > > versions, but I don't want the switch to happen globally, because I still > > > need to compile regular code. Is it possible to switch to another > compiler > > > locally (within a particular shell session) via environment variables, > > > while using my regular compiler in another shell session? > > > > > > If this is the way things work already, I apologize in advance -- it > > > appeared to me that running opam switch modifies some global state that > > > directly affects other pre-existing shell sessions. > > > > > > -Yotam > > > > > > > > > > This is already in our new FAQ [1] :) > > We're just waiting for 1.2 to be out before we post the new doc pages, > because some of it doesn't apply to the current 1.1 stable release. OPAM > 1.2 is still in RC stage. > > > > > > [1] > > > http://opam.ocaml.org/doc/1.2/FAQ.html#CanIworkondifferentswitchesatthesametimeindifferentshells >