From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Anthony Tavener <anthony.tavener@gmail.com>
Cc: "caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] A way to avoid "WARNING: myocamlbuild.cmi occurs in several directories"?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:33:22 +0100	[thread overview]

I'm not trying to dismiss your workflow, it's new¹ to me and interesting.
But is there really such a benefit to the "install-less" part of your
setup? On the project I've worked on, installation always took a time
neglectible when compared to compilation or (even more so) unit-testing.
When you say "immediate use", is there any reason other than speed for
avoiding a local install? Did you measure the speed difference?

¹: we've been aware of "huge monolithic builds" used in some OCaml-using
companies, but they generally use a single build system to direct all the
build, instead of several separate-but-connected islands of libraries. I
also use Stog, a static blog engine by Maxence Guesdon, that allows plugin
and has built-in support for finding them through ocamlfind. In my periods
of Stog hacking I've always frequently modified and rebuild the plugins, in
synchronization with evolution Stog's code itself; but then I re-install
each of them separately and never felt that to be a problem.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Anthony Tavener <anthony.tavener@gmail.com