From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>
Cc: caml users <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Object Features
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 11:06:52 +0100	[thread overview]

> let myFunction delta {<x; y; ..>} = x + y + delta

> let myFunction delta o = o#(x + y + delta)

Calling methods is an effectful operation, so you need to specify when (and
how many time) the methods are called for those local-open or
pattern-matching syntax.

It is intuitively clear to me that the semantics of
  let {< x; y; ... }> = obj in body
should be equivalent to
  let x = obj#x and y = obj#y in body
(notice that the other methods of the same object are not forced)

I don't think there is a reasonable semantics for obj#(x + y):
- you really don't want to reason on the free variables that are inside the
parentheses
- you may not know what the type of `obj` is yet (let foo obj = obj#(x +
y)), so you don't know what its methods are.