From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: "Christoph Höger" <christoph.hoeger@celeraone.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] In-memory assembly
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:41:02 +0100	[thread overview]

# 1

magic because the toplevel is already built by linking the same
libraries. (see MPR#6704,
https://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=6704). The "ocaml" toplevel
does more black magic than "utop" and it works better there, but in
general I would recommend experimenting with non-toplevel programs for
this specific purpose.

# 2

The various x86_* modules seem to internally define a

  print_line : Buffer.t -> X86_ast.asm_line -> unit

which does not involve filesystem i/o. I think that the simplest
solution to your question would be to expose this function in addition
to the global one. (If I were you I would feel free to send a Pull
Request performing this change for all x86 printer implementations,
although I don't know whether the maintainers of this part of the
codebase would find it desirable.)

That said, what you would get is an in-memory representation of the
assembler *text*; the compiler calls an assembler and linker as
external programs. If for some reason you wanted to avoid this, you
would have to link to an assembler as a library, and then it would
possibly be easier to directly feed the (X86_ast.asm_line list)
abstract representation -- with some conversion into the format this
assembler library expects. For this you don't need to modify the
interface of the printer modules.