From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer@googlemail.com>
Cc: "Stéphane Glondu" <steph@glondu.net>,
	oleg@okmij.org, caml-list@inria.fr, ontologiae@gmail.com,
	caml@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Why NOT to compile OCaml via C
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:37:31 +0100	[thread overview]

> You can follow the progress here: https://github.com/colinbenner/ocamlllvm

Excellent!

Just a few questions:

- there are two different repos, ocamlllvm and ocaml-llvm (which has a
commit history that make it looks like it is where the real
development happen); which one should one follow? A wild guess after
only a quick look is that the ocaml-llvm repo did not build upon your
ocamlnat changes, and ocamllvm is about merging the changes on top of
it; but I really have no idea.

- you mention a "patched" LLVM; where can the patches be fetched? Do
you plan to present changes in such a way that it can be submitted
upstream? I think it is natural that you have to make changes to LLVM,
the GHC people (which now have an experimental LLVM backend) also did,
and I was under the impression that the LLVM people where quite
welcoming of their changes, they are glad to see LLVM being used in a
non-Clang-centric project. I think your patches could bring value to
LLVM, independently of the success of the ambitious ocaml backend
attempt.