From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Yotam Barnoy <yotambarnoy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Activating wiki on ocaml github
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 11:16:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Color me unconvinced. My experience with wikis has been mild at best.
There exist wikis for Camlp4 and Ocamlbuild (
http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Camlp4 ,
http://brion.inria.fr/gallium/index.php/Ocamlbuild ) that have seen
little contributions outside the core maintainers, and the content is
often ignored as it is not part of the official manual.

The wiki for the ocaml-hacker-group is probably a good place to put
meeting-specific information, but I don't believe it is a good
long-term place for documentation of the compiler internals. If the
documentation need to be synchronized with the compiler's evolution, I
suspect the best place to put it would be either along the compiler.

Alain's in-code documentation of the parsetree has done a lot of good
and will continue to do so in the future. I'm unconvinced peole would
get the same benefits out of an external wiki.

(On the other hand, formulating documentation as in-code comments does
impose some form restrictions on how to formulate things. I think this
is actually a good thing as it gives more structure.)