From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: "\"Mark\"" <mark@proof-technologies.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] accessing the type of a polymorphic parameter
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:23:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Short answer: no, it is not possible to do this.

Long answer: I presume that your implementation works for any type
providing some fixed set of operations, but that you wish those
operations to be implemented differently for each type. You can define
a type ('a ops) describing these operations on the type 'a (as a
record of functions for example), and use the polymorphic type ('a ->
'a ops -> foo) instead of ('a -> foo) to write your function.
Depending on your specific needs there may be slightly different
approaches (using a algebraic representation of runtime types rather
than a typeclass-like dictionary), a very general way being described
in this blog post by Alain Frisch :
  http://www.lexifi.com/blog/dynamic-types
It could help to have more details on your needs to suggest a better solution.

Wrong answer: yes, using Obj.magic you can access the runtime
representation of values. You can't distinguish between boolean and
integers and the empty list, but worrying about that is for the
coward, let's shoot yourself in the foot -- starting by reading the
documentation on the representation of OCaml values, chapter
"interacting with C" in the manual.