I think the most advanced project regarding IDE integration nowadays is Merlin ( https://github.com/def-lkb/merlin ), which gives direct feedback on syntax and typing errors. It doesn't have any knowledge of unit tests or coverage checking, but it would probably be the right tool to start with to integrate such a feature. Note that there has been a bit of back-and-forth on the instant feedback feature. Previous iterations were deemed a bit too visually invasive, and some people don't like to risk being interrupted by their IDE while they think about their code. I think it's always better to have the feature available, but there is clearly some tuning to have, and potential for overdoing it. The other project that jumps to mind is the Why3 IDE ( http://why3.lri.fr/). It seems they're not hype enough to have video stuff available, but from what I remember the GUI does a pretty good job of giving feedback on how external provers run, and pieces of code that were previously verified and aren't anymore. On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM, David MENTRE wrote: > Hello, > > Somebody has recently shown me the NCrunch (http://www.ncrunch.net/) > plug-in running under Microsoft Visual Studio and I was quite > impressed by it. This plug-in allows to define and run a test suite on > a C# program. The very nice thing about NCrunch is that the tests are > run in the background, without any user intervention (without even the > need to save files!). A set of coloured icons are displayed next to > each test to see if the test succeeded or not and some additional > pop-ups or right-clicks bring additional information. This approach > brings a very fluent way to develop some code and test it > simultaneously. > > In the same spirit, I have seen the Dafny development environment for > proved programs > (https://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/dafny/), still on > Visual Studio, where this time Verification Conditions and proofs of > the program being edited are generated and run in the background, with > coloured icons displaying the result. Once again, no need for the user > to click on icons or do any specific action. > > So my question: are there similar OCaml editors available or being > worked on that would allow running tasks in the background and > displaying result in the editor without user intervention? > > There is apparently a lot of development in the OCaml development > environment these days so somebody might already work on something > similar. > > By "OCaml editor", I am voluntarily ambiguous: I am interested in both > editor to program in OCaml and editor programmed in OCaml (or > interfaced with OCaml) and which could be used for other languages. > > Best regards, > david > > -- > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management and archives: > https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >