* [Caml-list] Building ocamlbuild with opam fails after opam switch <version>
@ 2016-06-25 13:57 Soegtrop, Michael
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2016-06-25 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear OCaml Users,

Opam works fine for me with the system installed OCaml, but after an opam switch I cannot build ocamlbuild or any package depending on it any more.

Building ocamlbuild fails because it explicitly checks if there is already a system installed ocamlbuild:

# ERROR: Preinstalled ocamlbuild detected at /usr/local/lib/ocaml/ocamlbuild
# Installation aborted; if you want to bypass this safety check, pass CHECK_IF_PREINSTALLED=false to make
# make: *** [Makefile:333: check-if-preinstalled] Error 2

Of cause I can just follow this advice and remove this check, but I wonder how others handle this.

Best regards,

Michael

Intel Deutschland GmbH
Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de
Managing Directors: Christin Eisenschmid, Christian Lamprechter
Registered Office: Munich

* Re: [Caml-list] Building ocamlbuild with opam fails after opam switch <version>
@ 2016-06-25 15:37 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-25 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soegtrop, Michael; +Cc: caml-list

This is a bug, but I think it is likely to be coming from a
misconfiguration on your end: the preinstalled test checks
  $(ocamlc -where)/ocamlbuild
and if you are in a non-system switch this should not be
/usr/local/lib/ocaml.

Did you correctly run

  eval $(opam config en)

after switching?

@ 2016-06-25 15:57   ` Soegtrop, Michael
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2016-06-25 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

Dear Gabriel,

>Did you correctly run
>
>  eval $(opam config en)
I tried both (in a fresh shell). The effect is the same.

A question for my understanding: I assumed that for building something inside of opam this is not required. I thought I need to do this only when I use ocaml to build something outside of opam. This also matches my (very limited) experience with opam.

I try to find out what is going wrong here.

Best regards,

Michael

Tel: +49 89 99 8853-0, www.intel.de<http://www.intel.de>

@ 2016-06-25 16:27     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-25 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soegtrop, Michael; +Cc: caml-list

Feel free to open an issue on
  https://github.com/ocaml/ocamlbuild/issues
so that we can track the problem down.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Soegtrop, Michael <

@ 2016-06-25 17:32       ` Soegtrop, Michael
From: Soegtrop, Michael @ 2016-06-25 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

Dear Gabriel,

with your pointers I found it.

I tried two things, one is to switch to a mingw64 4.03.0 compiler package I made myself. In this, as it looks, I messed up the transfer of the prefix to make (see my compiler file below), which results in the issues with building ocamlbuild.

Then I tried, as a cross check, a switch to the original opam 4.03.0 package and building ocamlbuild there. This also fails, but cause of a different reason (mantis #7268). Somehow I mixed things up in scrolling up my shell and thought it was the same bug.

The .comp file I experimented with is copied below. I didn’t yet find the right syntax to combine a string and a variable into one argument ("PREFIX="prefix), need to read the opam manual …

Best regards,

Michael

opam-version: "1"
version: "4.03.0"
src: "https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/archive/4.03.0.tar.gz"
build: [
  [ "git" "clone" "https://github.com/alainfrisch/flexdll.git" ]
  [ "cp" "flexdll/flexdll.h" "/usr/x86_64-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/include" ]
  [ "cp" "config/m-nt.h" "config/m.h" ]
  [ "cp" "config/s-nt.h" "config/s.h" ]
  [ "cp" "config/Makefile.mingw64" "config/Makefile" ]
  [ make "-f" "Makefile.nt" "PREFIX="prefix "flexdll" ]
  [ make "-f" "Makefile.nt" "PREFIX="prefix "world" ]
  [ make "-f" "Makefile.nt" "PREFIX="prefix "opt" ]
  [ make "-f" "Makefile.nt" "PREFIX="prefix "opt.opt" ]
  [ make "-f" "Makefile.nt" "PREFIX="prefix "install" ]
]

@ 2016-06-25 20:06         ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-25 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soegtrop, Michael; +Cc: caml-list