I believe there is an issue with record fields and functors. It appears that while types are correctly exported from functors, the corresponding record field scopes are not. Here is an example. module type HasType = sig type t end module EchoModule (Input:HasType): (HasType with type t = Input.t) = (struct type t = Input.t end) module ClonedModuleWithRecordType = EchoModule (struct type t = {innerRecordField: int} end) (* This doesn't type check, but I can't see why it shouldn't. Record fields' scopes should be reexported just like the types themselves. let myRecord: ClonedModuleWithRecordType.t = { ClonedModuleWithRecordType.innerRecordField=10; } In this case, the original "scope" of the record fields is "lost" because the record type was declared in an anonymous module expression. I believe that it *should* be "lost" as it is, but then reexported as an identical type in the module returned from the functor (identically because of the "with constraint"). *) module ClonedModuleWithNonRecordType = EchoModule (struct type t = string list end) (* This typechecks perfectly fine! Evidence that types are reexported, but not the "scope" of record labels *) let myRecord: ClonedModuleWithNonRecordType.t = ["asdf"; "fff"] Is anyone aware of whether or not this issue is already being tracked?