* [Caml-list] Vim syntax supporting first-class modules?
@ 2012-06-30 19:12 Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-06-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

After first-class modules were introduced there were some questions whether
anyone had updates for ocaml.vim.

About one year later I finally have use for first-class modules but can't
find Vim syntax support. Spend a couple hours now delving into the arcana
of syntax and particularly the module section of ocaml.vim. I've turned
back for fear of my sanity.

Has anyone else slain this beast already? :)

-Tony

* Re: [Caml-list] Vim syntax supporting first-class modules?
@ 2012-06-30 22:13 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2012-06-30 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tavener; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Anthony Tavener
<anthony.tavener@gmail.com> wrote:
> After first-class modules were introduced there were some questions whether
> anyone had updates for ocaml.vim.
>
> About one year later I finally have use for first-class modules but can't
> find Vim syntax support. Spend a couple hours now delving into the arcana of
> syntax and particularly the module section of ocaml.vim. I've turned back
> for fear of my sanity.
>
> Has anyone else slain this beast already? :)

Though Vim has fairly powerful syntax highlighting features, its
highlighting language is also not exactly easy to reason about.
Frankly, a lot of my syntax file, which is probably what you are
referring to when speaking of insanity, was developed using a heavy
dose of trial and error, especially when it comes to module syntax.
Even before first-class modules it was far from perfect.  Feel free to
risk your sanity and send fixes... ;)

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Vim syntax supporting first-class modules?
@ 2012-06-30 22:31   ` Anthony Tavener
From: Anthony Tavener @ 2012-06-30 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Anthony Tavener
> <anthony.tavener@gmail.com> wrote:
> > After first-class modules were introduced there were some questions
> whether
> > anyone had updates for ocaml.vim.
> >
> > About one year later I finally have use for first-class modules but can't
> > find Vim syntax support. Spend a couple hours now delving into the
> arcana of
> > syntax and particularly the module section of ocaml.vim. I've turned back
> > for fear of my sanity.
> >
> > Has anyone else slain this beast already? :)
>
> Though Vim has fairly powerful syntax highlighting features, its
> highlighting language is also not exactly easy to reason about.
> Frankly, a lot of my syntax file, which is probably what you are
> referring to when speaking of insanity, was developed using a heavy
> dose of trial and error, especially when it comes to module syntax.
> Even before first-class modules it was far from perfect.  Feel free to
> risk your sanity and send fixes... ;)
>
> Regards,
> Markus
>
> --
> Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

Oh, I understand. Certainly I meant no slight on you! I can see how the
syntax definitions lead to a very complex state machine, and I'm often
surprised when the highlighting is correct in the face of complex
language features.

If no one else has, I might venture forward. Though I do wonder what
all those Vim folks at Janestreet are doing? I guess just suffer looking
at some confused highlighting in presence of first-class modules if they
are rare enough anyway.

* Re: [Caml-list] Vim syntax supporting first-class modules?
@ 2012-06-30 23:57     ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2012-06-30 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tavener; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Anthony Tavener
<anthony.tavener@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, I understand. Certainly I meant no slight on you

No offense taken, the Vim syntax highlighting code really is insane :)

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com