* [Caml-list] ocaml systhreads condition variables: no condvar_timedwait?
@ 2013-03-11 22:17 Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2013-03-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

I'm just starting to use Ocaml threads, and notice that there's no
equivalent of pthread_condvar_timedwait.  It seems pretty clear (and
easy) how to implement this for POSIX, but I don't know diddly about
how one might do so on Windows, nor have I looked into howto implement
it on vmthreads.

Has anybody already stumbled across this issue and resolved it?  (a
modest Google search reveals nothing).

Thanks,
--chet--

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml systhreads condition variables: no condvar_timedwait?
@ 2013-03-11 23:09 ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2013-03-11 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: OCaml List

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 03:17:13PM -0700, Chet Murthy wrote:

> I'm just starting to use Ocaml threads, and notice that there's no
> equivalent of pthread_condvar_timedwait.
[...]

I looked up this function and found nothing.
It seems this is your personal phantasy function,
or possibly just a typo.

Possibly you mean
  pthread_cond_timedwait()

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml systhreads condition variables: no condvar_timedwait?
@ 2013-03-11 23:11   ` Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2013-03-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oliver; +Cc: OCaml List

Oops, sorry, yes, I meant pthread_cond_timedwait().  In any case, it's
not wrappered in Ocaml systhreads, though clearly from the
implementation of pthread_cond_wait() (well, "st_condvar_wait" in
st_posix.h), it's trivial to add.

Just wondering why it was omitted, is all.

--chet--

@ 2013-03-12  0:25     ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2013-03-12  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: oliver, OCaml List

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Chet Murthy <murthy.chet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops, sorry, yes, I meant pthread_cond_timedwait().  In any case, it's
> not wrappered in Ocaml systhreads, though clearly from the
> implementation of pthread_cond_wait() (well, "st_condvar_wait" in
> st_posix.h), it's trivial to add.
>
> Just wondering why it was omitted, is all.

FWIW, the Jane Street Core library implements this function in
Core.Std.Condition.timedwait.  I think it should be part of the
standard library, too, since it's a POSIX standard.

Regards,
Markus

--
Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com