* [Caml-list] Ocamlbuild doc with lacaml module
@ 2013-02-21 13:07 Elisa Rebolini
From: Elisa Rebolini @ 2013-02-21 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlbuild doc with lacaml module
@ 2013-02-21 13:11 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-21 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elisa Rebolini; +Cc: caml-list

It would help to have more precise information about your setup. Could you
detail how you installed lacaml on your system, and provide a directory
tarball for a simple project allowing to reproduce your problem (with the
_tags file etc.)?

@ 2013-02-21 13:25   ` Elisa Rebolini
From: Elisa Rebolini @ 2013-02-21 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

I've installed lacaml 7.0.3 by following the installation procedure
	'ocaml setup.ml -configure'
	'ocaml setup.ml -build'
	'ocaml setup.ml -install'
The path to the lacaml package is /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/lacaml
and my Makefile is

hostname := $(shell uname -n)

LIB=-I,+site-lib/lacaml

ifeq ($(hostname),clastos)
LIB=-I,+site-lib/lacaml
endif

ifeq ($(hostname),bulle)
LIB=-I,/usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.12.1/lacaml
endif

all:
	ocamlbuild -libs bigarray,lacaml,str,unix -verbose 2 -cflags $(LIB)
-lflags $(LIB) molexc.native

clean:
	ocamlbuild -clean

doc:
	ocamlbuild -libs bigarray,lacaml,str,unix -verbose 2 -cflags $(LIB)
-lflags $(LIB) molexc.docdir/index.html

thanks
--
Elisa

@ 2013-02-21 14:32     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-21 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elisa Rebolini; +Cc: caml-list

Two remarks:

1. You should use "ocamlfind" to provide you with machine-portable path
information on OCaml libraries (this only works with libraries that have
ocamlfind support, but that's essentially all libraries worth using, and
otherwise it's a packaging bug that you should report to the library author
or distributor). So instead of the machine-dependent LIB variable, you
could just set:
  LIB=-I,$(shell ocamlfind query lacaml)

2. You don't actually need this include-handling logic as ocamlfind can
deal with that for you. To use it from ocamlbuild, the magic option is
"-use-ocamlfind", and then using "-pkg(s)" instead of "-lib(s)" option. I
was able to reproduce your problem on a test file, and fixed it with the
following Makefile:

all:
    ocamlbuild -use-ocamlfind -pkgs bigarray,lacaml,str,unix -verbose 2
molexc.native

clean:
    ocamlbuild -clean

doc:
    ocamlbuild -use-ocamlfind -pkgs bigarray,lacaml,str,unix
molexc.docdir/index.html

(To see a list of available ocamlfind package, use "ocamlfind list"; see
_build/_log for the actual compilation lines that ocamlbuild uses, if you
want to reproduce them by hand.)

@ 2013-02-21 14:34     ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2013-02-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elisa Rebolini; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer, caml-list

Hi,

I've just set up a small, self-contained example "lacaml_test" in my
OCaml playground repository on Bitbucket:

  https://bitbucket.org/mmottl/ocaml-playground

Just clone the repository to your computer:

  hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/mmottl/ocaml-playground

Then follow the instructions in the README files.

Regards,
Markus

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Elisa Rebolini <erebolini@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed lacaml 7.0.3 by following the installation procedure
>         'ocaml setup.ml -configure'
>         'ocaml setup.ml -build'
>         'ocaml setup.ml -install'
> The path to the lacaml package is /usr/local/lib/ocaml/site-lib/lacaml
> and my Makefile is
>
> hostname := $(shell uname -n)

> LIB=-I,+site-lib/lacaml
>
> ifeq ($(hostname),clastos)
> LIB=-I,+site-lib/lacaml
> endif
>
> ifeq ($(hostname),bulle)
> LIB=-I,/usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.12.1/lacaml
> endif
>
> all:
>         ocamlbuild -libs bigarray,lacaml,str,unix -verbose 2 -cflags $(LIB)
> -lflags $(LIB) molexc.native
>
> clean:
>         ocamlbuild -clean
>
> doc:
>         ocamlbuild -libs bigarray,lacaml,str,unix -verbose 2 -cflags $(LIB)
> -lflags $(LIB) molexc.docdir/index.html
>
> thanks
> --
> Elisa
>
> Le 21/02/2013 14:11, Gabriel Scherer a écrit :
>> It would help to have more precise information about your setup. Could you
>> detail how you installed lacaml on your system, and provide a directory
>> tarball for a simple project allowing to reproduce your problem (with the
>> _tags file etc.)?
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Elisa Rebolini <erebolini@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello list,
>> I'm developping a quantum chemistry software with ocaml and use lacaml
>> as a binding to the LAPACK and BLAS libraries.
>> I have a warning at the compilation with ocamlbuild
>>         Warning: Failed to build the module Lacaml requested by ocamldep
>>         mid rule ocaml: ml -> cmo & cmi (%=parser_epsilon ): cache hit
>> but the compilation is still successful and the program works as
>> expected but when I try to compile the documentation I have an error
>>         Error: Unbound module Lacaml
>> I'm not very skilled (yet?) with caml so any help would be very much
>> appreciated.
>> Thanks a lot
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> --

Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocamlbuild doc with lacaml module
@ 2013-02-21 14:37       ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-21 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: Elisa Rebolini, caml-list

A word of comment: Markus uses a slightly more advanced feature of
ocamlbuild, which is the ability to set compilation tags not in the
ocamlbuild invocation command, as you've been using, but in a dedicated
"_tags" file in the repository:

https://bitbucket.org/mmottl/ocaml-playground/src/65d3ec500ac36683e18d0b84dbf98115f82ea8af/lacaml_test/_tags

You can see the line "true: package(lacaml)", which means that all
compilation commands needed to compile whatever target is required
(test.native, test.docdir/index.html...) will use the lacaml ocamlfind
package (this only works if ocamlbuild is invoked with -use-ocamlfind,
which is the case in his Makefile).

@ 2013-02-21 14:46         ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2013-02-21 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Elisa Rebolini, caml-list

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Gabriel Scherer
<gabriel.scherer@gmail.com> wrote:
> A word of comment: Markus uses a slightly more advanced feature of
> ocamlbuild, which is the ability to set compilation tags not in the
> ocamlbuild invocation command, as you've been using, but in a dedicated
> "_tags" file in the repository:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/mmottl/ocaml-playground/src/65d3ec500ac36683e18d0b84dbf98115f82ea8af/lacaml_test/_tags

The project also uses a build target file "all.itarget" that describes
the ocamlbuild invocation required (i.e. with -use-ocamlfind):

  https://bitbucket.org/mmottl/ocaml-playground/src/65d3ec500ac3/lacaml_test/all.itarget?at=default

Regards,
Markus

--

@ 2013-02-21 14:49       ` Elisa Rebolini
From: Elisa Rebolini @ 2013-02-21 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml-list

It works perfectly.
Thanks a lot !
And a special thanks to Markus for the lacaml package which prevents me
from coding in Fortran 90 !
--
Elisa

@ 2013-02-21 15:54         ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2013-02-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elisa Rebolini; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer, caml-list

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Elisa Rebolini <erebolini@gmail.com> wrote:
> It works perfectly.
> Thanks a lot !
> And a special thanks to Markus for the lacaml package which prevents me
> from coding in Fortran 90 !

If I managed to save somebody from the unimaginable pain of using
Fortran, the effort was worthwhile :-)

Regards,
Markus

--