* ocamlfind question on cygwin
@ 2009-05-06 15:57 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2009-05-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm trying to debug some installation issue on godi/mingw, and it
seems to be a problem with ocamlfind using a cygwin console. When I try:

$ ocamlfind install lwt -destdir "/home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/
pkg-lib" META
ocamlfind: Bad configuration: Cannot mkdir /home/Administrateur/godi/
lib/ocaml/pkg-lib\lwt because a path component does not exist or is
not a directory

The problem seems to be the '\'. But trying (by putting an additional
'/' at the end of destdir):

$ ocamlfind install lwt -destdir "/home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/
pkg-lib/" META
ocamlfind: Bad configuration: Cannot mkdir /home/Administrateur/godi/
lib/ocaml/pkg-lib/lwt because a path component does not exist or is
not a directory

It's even stranger: the path looks correct, and the parent directory
exists:

$ ls /home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib/
bigarray  findlib       nethttpd              netsys   rpc-auth-dh
str
camlp4    godi-script   nethttpd-for-netcgi1  num      rpc-generator
stublibs
cgi       netcgi1       nethttpd-for-netcgi2  num-top  shell
threads
cryptgps  netcgi2       netplex               pcre     smtp
unix
dynlink   netcgi2-plex  netshm                pop      ssl
equeue    netclient     netstring             rpc      stdlib

Is there something that I am missing here?

Thanks,

Alan

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlfind question on cygwin
@ 2009-05-06 16:11 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2009-05-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Alan Schmitt
<alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to debug some installation issue on godi/mingw, and it seems to
> be a problem with ocamlfind using a cygwin console. When I try:
>
> $ ocamlfind install lwt -destdir
> "/home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib" META
> ocamlfind: Bad configuration: Cannot mkdir
> /home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib\lwt because a path component
> does not exist or is not a directory

Probably your ocamlfind is a mingw (native Win32) application, and so
you cannot use cygwin paths (/home/...).

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlfind question on cygwin
@ 2009-05-06 17:23   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2009-05-06 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 6 mai 09, at 18:11, Dmitry Bely wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Alan Schmitt
> <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to debug some installation issue on godi/mingw, and it
>> seems to
>> be a problem with ocamlfind using a cygwin console. When I try:
>>
>> $ ocamlfind install lwt -destdir
>> "/home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib" META
>> ocamlfind: Bad configuration: Cannot mkdir
>> /home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib\lwt because a path
>> component
>> does not exist or is not a directory
>
> Probably your ocamlfind is a mingw (native Win32) application, and so
> you cannot use cygwin paths (/home/...).

As godi uses cygwin paths, does it mean that one cannot use ocamlfind
in godi packages for mingw?

@ 2009-05-06 18:47     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2009-05-06 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: caml-list

Am Mittwoch, den 06.05.2009, 19:23 +0200 schrieb Alan Schmitt:
> On 6 mai 09, at 18:11, Dmitry Bely wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Alan Schmitt
> > <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to debug some installation issue on godi/mingw, and it
> >> seems to
> >> be a problem with ocamlfind using a cygwin console. When I try:
> >>
> >> $ ocamlfind install lwt -destdir
> >> "/home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib" META
> >> ocamlfind: Bad configuration: Cannot mkdir
> >> /home/Administrateur/godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib\lwt because a path
> >> component
> >> does not exist or is not a directory
> >
> > Probably your ocamlfind is a mingw (native Win32) application, and so
> > you cannot use cygwin paths (/home/...).
>
> As godi uses cygwin paths, does it mean that one cannot use ocamlfind
> in godi packages for mingw?

Actually, this is a big problem. In godi_console, I worked around by
translating paths between cygwin and Win32 as needed. All other godi
apps do not provide this convenience feature - they are win32 apps and
require win32 paths.

In order to help packages, there is LOCALBASE_NATIVE. It is LOCALBASE
translated to Win32 style. Look into the godi-findlib package for an
example how to use it.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann * Viktoriastr. 45 * 64293 Darmstadt * Germany
gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de          http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
Phone: +49-6151-153855                  Fax: +49-6151-997714