* [Caml-list] Functional GUI programming: looking for good practices
@ 2012-02-13 11:01 Philippe Veber
From: Philippe Veber @ 2012-02-13 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Dear camlers,

I'm looking for advanced examples of GUI programming in functional style.
As I'm aware there is no definitive answer on this topic, I'll gladly read
about pragmatic approaches which may fail to be fully declarative, but do
work well in practice. Lately I've been trying to write a little GUI API,
replacing all mutable values by React signals (
http://erratique.ch/software/react), but it turns out to be more difficult
than expected, for example with layout management. In order to compute a
layout for the widgets, some information has to travel bottom up the widget
hierarchy, and some goes top down. While there is a well-founded order for
defining all signals, it's more difficult to group them in their respective
widget and still avoid mutually recursive definitions. More generally I'd
interested in good (and pragmatic !) techniques for GUI programming, with
some real life code.
Cheers,
  Philippe.