* Re: [Caml-list] Problem compiling Ocaml 3.08.3 on AIX 5.2
@ 2005-04-22  7:26 Bauer, Christoph
From: Bauer, Christoph @ 2005-04-22  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jerome Simeon', caml-list

> I am having trouble building ocaml 3.08 on AIX 5.2.
> The compiler is gcc is 3.3.2.

Unfortunatly INRIA dropped support for AIX. It is hard
to get a working native compiler for OCaml on AIX. You have
to pull some older files from OCaml CVS.

> As anybody has seen that problem before and can help?

Here is a list of workarounds (for 3.08.2).

Problem                         Workaround
(1) configure sets ARCH and      set ARCH=power and SYSTEM=aix
    SYSTEM  to none and unknown  by hand.
    in config/Makefile.
(2) compiler errors with         configure -cc "/usr/bin/CC
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500"
    int16/int32/int64
(3) trap_handler not defined.    disabled the "sigaction" section for aix
:-(
    could use struct sigcontext
(4) assembler complains about    running as with -u option
    undefined symbols
(5) assert-Errors in proc.ml/    added "aix" to a each block next to the
"elf"-case.
    emit.ml in "match            *THIS DOESN'T WORK*
    Config.system with"-Blocks   *USE OLD CVS VERSIONS OF FILES* [1]

I have a binary version of OCaml 3.08.2 (including a working
native code compiler).

[1] just before CVS log-info  "Suppression portage ocamlopt pour Power/AIX "

Best regards,
Christoph Bauer