* [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-09-17 11:34 jean-denis eiden
From: jean-denis eiden @ 2021-09-17 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2022-06-16 12:57 Gustave Nimant
From: Gustave Nimant @ 2022-06-16 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2022-06-16  9:14   ` Jean-Denis EIDEN JEAN-DENIS
From: Jean-Denis EIDEN JEAN-DENIS @ 2022-06-16  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg, Andreas Rossberg; +Cc: asai, caml-list

@ 2022-06-10 15:15 Gustave Nimant
From: Gustave Nimant @ 2022-06-10 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2022-06-09  4:32 daniel Ding
From: daniel Ding @ 2022-06-09  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2021-11-01 13:11 Bryan Starbuck
From: Bryan Starbuck @ 2021-11-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2021-05-26 13:13 Dan Frumin
From: Dan Frumin @ 2021-05-26 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2021-04-11 18:31 jean-denis eiden
From: jean-denis eiden @ 2021-04-11 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

unsubscribe

* Re: [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-01-04 21:26           ` Yawar Amin
From: Yawar Amin @ 2021-01-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Oh, you're right–that seems to be what's happening. I checked messages sent
_only_ to the list, and they have the headers as expected. Unfortunately
Gmail is still not showing the expected 'Unsubscribe' UI–no doubt part of
their continuous A/B testing or something.

Regards,

Yawar

* Re: [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-01-04 21:07         ` Philippe Wang
From: Philippe Wang @ 2021-01-04 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yawar Amin; +Cc: caml-list

--
Philippe Wang
   mail@philippewang.info

@ 2021-01-04 20:04           ` Yawar Amin
From: Yawar Amin @ 2021-01-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gmail and some other clients support it, more details here
https://sendgrid.com/blog/list-unsubscribe/

Regards,

Yawar

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 2:52 PM Daniil Baturin <daniil@baturin.org> wrote:

> Looks like GMail (or something else in the middle) indeed messes with
> headers.
>
> I get the correct headers in the messages received by a self-hosted
> Postfix:

> However, Thunderbird doesn't seem to offer an unsubscribe option based on
> that header, and I can't remember any email client where I'd have seen that
> functionality.
>

> On 1/5/21 2:42 AM, Yawar Amin wrote:
> > Actually, this is puzzling indeed–I notice there's no
> > 'List-Unsubscribe' header in the messages that reach my Gmail inbox,
> > but it _is_ present in the message that gets archived at
> > e.g.
> https://inbox.ocaml.org/caml-list/CAH=h3gEOoMUBezUb3NoXvksX34ke3etP8=aScYeCzRc9p-ehrg@mail.gmail.com/raw
> > <
> https://inbox.ocaml.org/caml-list/CAH=h3gEOoMUBezUb3NoXvksX34ke3etP8=aScYeCzRc9p-ehrg@mail.gmail.com/raw
> >

> > And in fact Gmail is not showing the 'unsubscribe' UI that it normally
> > would if it found the 'List-Unsubscribe' header. Looks like something
> > is stripping out the 'List-*' and perhaps other headers before
> > delivering them to Gmail.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Yawar

* Re: [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-01-04 19:51         ` Daniil Baturin
From: Daniil Baturin @ 2021-01-04 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Looks like GMail (or something else in the middle) indeed messes with
headers.

I get the correct headers in the messages received by a self-hosted Postfix:

However, Thunderbird doesn't seem to offer an unsubscribe option based on that header, and I can't remember any email client where I'd have seen that functionality.

On 1/5/21 2:42 AM, Yawar Amin wrote:
> Actually, this is puzzling indeed–I notice there's no
> 'List-Unsubscribe' header in the messages that reach my Gmail inbox,
> but it _is_ present in the message that gets archived at
> e.g. https://inbox.ocaml.org/caml-list/CAH=h3gEOoMUBezUb3NoXvksX34ke3etP8=aScYeCzRc9p-ehrg@mail.gmail.com/raw
> <https://inbox.ocaml.org/caml-list/CAH=h3gEOoMUBezUb3NoXvksX34ke3etP8=aScYeCzRc9p-ehrg@mail.gmail.com/raw>
>

> And in fact Gmail is not showing the 'unsubscribe' UI that it normally
> would if it found the 'List-Unsubscribe' header. Looks like something
> is stripping out the 'List-*' and perhaps other headers before
> delivering them to Gmail.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yawar

* Re: [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-01-04 19:42       ` Yawar Amin
From: Yawar Amin @ 2021-01-04 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Van Chan Ngo, caml-list, Adam Johnson

Actually, this is puzzling indeed–I notice there's no 'List-Unsubscribe'
header in the messages that reach my Gmail inbox, but it _is_ present in
the message that gets archived at e.g.
https://inbox.ocaml.org/caml-list/CAH=h3gEOoMUBezUb3NoXvksX34ke3etP8=aScYeCzRc9p-ehrg@mail.gmail.com/raw

And in fact Gmail is not showing the 'unsubscribe' UI that it normally
would if it found the 'List-Unsubscribe' header. Looks like something is
stripping out the 'List-*' and perhaps other headers before delivering them
to Gmail.

Regards,

Yawar

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 1:33 PM Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Yawar Amin <yawar.amin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps this mailing list can be configured to automatically add (to each
>> message) instructions for unsubscribing? I.e. go to
>> https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/signoff/caml-list , enter your email
>> address, and click to unsubscribe.
>>

> This used to be the case, but such rewriting of messages was causing
> problems with DKIM and other email integrity checking scheme.
>
> So, currently, we're just relying on subscribers to not be stupid and not
> send "unsubscribe" messages to the whole list.
>
> The proper "List-Unsubscribe" header is added to every message, and a
> working e-mail client should take advantage of it to offer an "unsubscribe
> from this mailing-list" option.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Xavier Leroy
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Yawar
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:58 AM Van Chan Ngo <chan.ngo2203@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Unsubscribe
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

* Re: [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-01-04 18:32     ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2021-01-04 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yawar Amin; +Cc: Van Chan Ngo, caml-list, Adam Johnson

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM Yawar Amin <yawar.amin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps this mailing list can be configured to automatically add (to each
> message) instructions for unsubscribing? I.e. go to
> https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/signoff/caml-list , enter your email
> address, and click to unsubscribe.

This used to be the case, but such rewriting of messages was causing
problems with DKIM and other email integrity checking scheme.

So, currently, we're just relying on subscribers to not be stupid and not
send "unsubscribe" messages to the whole list.

The proper "List-Unsubscribe" header is added to every message, and a
working e-mail client should take advantage of it to offer an "unsubscribe
from this mailing-list" option.

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy

> Regards,
>
> Yawar
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:58 AM Van Chan Ngo <chan.ngo2203@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Unsubscribe
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Jan 4, 2021, at 11:44 AM, Adam Johnson <adamjohnson@nhyne.dev>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > unsubscribe

* Re: [Caml-list] unsubscribe
@ 2021-01-04 17:28   ` Yawar Amin
From: Yawar Amin @ 2021-01-04 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van Chan Ngo; +Cc: caml-list

Perhaps this mailing list can be configured to automatically add (to each
message) instructions for unsubscribing? I.e. go to
https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/signoff/caml-list , enter your email address,
and click to unsubscribe.

Regards,

Yawar