* [Caml-list] Package compilation and debug mode
@ 2016-03-12 21:35 Daniel Bünzli
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2016-03-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: platform; +Cc: OCaml List

Hello,

I'd like to know what the consensus is about distributing packages that always compile in debug mode. It seems that some persons do want to have debug always enabled [1,2], but the discussion is not clear cut [1].

By default all my packages are released with -g disabled. It seems easy enough to have an opam switch (even the official one) that automatically enables the flag.

So I think OCaml's opam repository should have a policy here. The answer should also take system package managers into account since those pull directly from the tarballs (if this document [3] is still in use for debian it seems they do require compilation with debug mode).

Personally I don't have an opinion about it, I'm rather seeking an answer here.

Best,

Daniel

[1] http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=6728
[2] http://rgrinberg.com/blog/2016/02/26/opam-package-checklist/