Jonathan Roewen wrote : >> With OCaml you can't use features like SIMD instructions of CPUs, and >> will do many bound checking, so it will be slower. >> I'm a bit sceptical that ocaml may be as good as C for pure signal >> processing. > > Oh okay. Ah well, I'm doing a pure OCaml OS anyways, so we'll just > have to wait and see. Ok, I wasn't aware of that. In this case, you effectively have to write it in ocaml. Did you have a url to this OS projet ? I don't know how much speed you'll lost compared to C code, but if you use native ocaml compilation it shouldn't be a big issue (even if it's twice as slow as C, it'll run on recent CPUs ;)). > Can bounds checking be disabled for just one module ? The -unsafe option is a compiler option, not a linker option, so I think it may has a different value for each .ml file. >> Writing a mpeg2 decoder won't take less than a week !!! > > We'll see. It'd be more like rewriting something like libmpeg2 in > ocaml I think. It'd be a damn good attempt anyways ;-) So... good luck ;) -- Damien Bobillot