* [Caml-list] opam http repo, archive downloading
@ 2013-02-08 18:05 Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2013-02-08 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Hello,

I'm trying to setup my own repo over http.

It seems that opam insists in downloading the archives from $URLTOREPO/archives. Why doesn't it use the url mentionned in $PACKAGE/url ? What's the rationale ?

Best,

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] opam http repo, archive downloading
@ 2013-02-11  9:17 ` Thomas Gazagnaire
From: Thomas Gazagnaire @ 2013-02-11  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bünzli; +Cc: OCaml List

Hi,

> It seems that opam insists in downloading the archives from $URLTOREPO/archives. Why doesn't it use the url mentionned in $PACKAGE/url ? What's the rationale ?

OPAM servers work as proxy: when a client ask for a source archive, it first serves the one stored locally and if not present, look at the one upstream. So if you don't want to cache the archives, clean-up $URLREPO/archives. This can be used to build a stand-alone local repository which can be used without internet access.

See [1] for a discussion on that topic.

Best,
Thomas

[1] https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam/issues/39

@ 2013-02-11 11:33   ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2013-02-11 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gazagnaire; +Cc: OCaml List

Le lundi, 11 février 2013 à 10:17, Thomas Gazagnaire a écrit :

> OPAM servers work as proxy: when a client ask for a source archive, it first serves the one stored locally and if not present, look at the one upstream. So if you don't want to cache the archives, clean-up $URLREPO/archives.

That's what I thought but there seems to be a bug in the mechanism. Reported here [1]

Daniel

P.S. I don't want to bother too much the caml-list with opam question. Time for a list ?

[1] https://github.com/OCamlPro/opam/issues/452

* Re: [Caml-list] opam http repo, archive downloading
@ 2013-02-11 11:47     ` Thomas Gazagnaire
From: Thomas Gazagnaire @ 2013-02-11 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bünzli; +Cc: OCaml List

> P.S. I don't want to bother too much the caml-list with opam question. Time for a list ?

You can also open issues on github, they are easily searchable.

--
Thomas

* Re: [Caml-list] opam http repo, archive downloading
@ 2013-02-11 13:00       ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2013-02-11 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gazagnaire; +Cc: OCaml List

Le lundi, 11 février 2013 à 12:47, Thomas Gazagnaire a écrit :

Ok.
> You can also open issues on github, they are easily searchable.

Ok but there's a difference between an issue and a question in my opinion. A question may not necessarily be an issue with opam. Unless you specifically want us to use the issue tracker for questions aswell.

@ 2013-02-11 13:10         ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2013-02-11 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bünzli; +Cc: Thomas Gazagnaire, OCaml List

Unfortunately, that's the route most github projects take: you
interact with them through the issues tracker.
I regret the mailing-list with archives and well-understood process
(... and running on free software stacks), but the convenience for
developers to discuss design questions, comment on tentative commits
and hastily merge changes in a single unified clicky interface is
manifest. Before someone develops a Firefox,Chrome,whatever extension
doing "oh this looks like a commit URL let's add an option to find the
corresponding repo of mine and pull it there in one click", you're
going to have to adapt to the {github,bitbucket,gitorious,gitlab}
interfaces.

@ 2013-02-11 14:07           ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-02-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Daniel Bünzli, Thomas Gazagnaire, OCaml List

As Thomas noted, this list:

is available for OPAM-related questions that aren't appropriate
for the tracker. We've got lots of developments planned for OPAM to
better support the upcoming Platform, and that's the place to
discuss broader issues.

However, I'd suggest sticking to Github for feature requests that
might be bugs, as it's easy to cross-reference them and keep track
of what's going on.  You should assume that mails to a list won't
have anyone act on them, whereas issues always get a response.

-anil