From: "Dave Berry" <Dave@kal.com>
To: "Brian Rogoff" <bpr@best.com>, "Chris Hecker" <checker@d6.com>
Cc: <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Generics?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 10:44:34 +0100	[thread overview]

In the broader community, "generics" also refers to parameterised
classes or modules.  Examples include ML's functors, C++ class
templates, and parameterised classes in Eiffel, OCaml, and others.
There are some papers comparing the power and expressiveness of
inheritance vs genericity (I think Bertrand Meyer wrote one of these).

Chris's concern's are largely addressed by functors, given suitable
optimisations in the implementation.  Overloading can also help.