* [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml v0.3
@ 2014-02-14  0:34 Andy Ray
From: Andy Ray @ 2014-02-14  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

*** I announced this to the list through google groups a few days ago but I
don't think it worked properly so hopefully this time ... ***

https://github.com/andrewray/iocaml

IOCaml is an OCaml kernel for the IPython notebook (
http://ipython.org/notebook.html).  This provides a REPL within a web
browser with a nice user interface including markdown based
comments/documentation, mathjax formula and the possibility of generating
all manner of HTML based output media from your code.  Here are a few
features I think are particularly interesting;

* Uses ocp-index.lib to provide code completion and types (includes
documentation if .cmt files exist).  Only works with installed libraries at
the moment.  Very new, a wee bit buggy, but I love it.

* I copy/pasted the OCaml core language documentation page into a notebook.
 Now you can learn interactively! [1]

* Play with TyXML in the notebook and render typed HTML interactively.

Installation is reasonably painless through opam, though you currently need
to add my remote repository [2] and require a >=4.00.1 compiler.
 Installation of IPython is a touch more involved as you will have to
update (using 'pip') some python components [3].  Instructions for Ubuntu
13.10 are on the github page and I have also tested Fedora 20 which was,
apart from some slightly different package names, very similar.

Cheers,
Andy

[1] I am not sure if, according to the license terms, I should be providing
this.  The documentation has not been changed in any way apart from one
inserted paragraph at the start explaining the difference between a normal
toplevel and the notebook interface.  I hope it's OK to provide this.

[2] I'd love to push this to opam proper but require ocaml-zmq >=3.2.
 There was a recent discussion on the list about this (indeed reading about
ZeroMQ led me to IPython) so hopefully this will happen before too long.

[3] I haven't tested this release with 0.13.2 which the distros provide.
 Maybe it works anyway.

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] IOCaml v0.3
@ 2014-02-18 12:22 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2014-02-18 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)