From: "Daniel Bünzli" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>
To: Ashish Agarwal <agarwal1975@gmail.com>
Cc: caml list <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] SDL2 bindings, testers and feedback welcome
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 21:26:17 +0100	[thread overview]

Le mardi, 17 décembre 2013 à 19:57, Ashish Agarwal a écrit :
> The desire to distinguish between a successful non-result vs an error is reasonable, but it's hard to know where to draw the line.

In that case the line is pretty clear, any function that may return an error about the call through Sdl.get_error gets that type. But regarding the overall discussion, for me it boils down to one of these choices:

1) Convert all error conditions to exceptions and say in the docs any function in the Sdl module may raise Sdl.Error
2) Keep it as it is now.

> Is it an error for Map.find to not find the item you asked for? Maybe. Maybe not.

Actually this case is quite easy IMHO. When you devise a map data structure you should have both Map.get : 'a t -> key -> 'a, that raises *Invalid_argument* if the key is unbound (that's for code paths were you know the value is in there) and Map.find : 'a t -> key -> 'a option, that returns None if the key is unbound (that's for code paths were you don't know if the value is there).

> I misspoke. What I meant is: I don't like short cryptic acronyms. They appear random to me because I don't know what they mean.
Ok then ! The thing is that when you use combinators approaches and/or get type errors you don't want to have long winded name prefixes. I think the name just after the prefix is more important and here I don't use short cryptic acronyms: Vg.image, Vg.glyph, Vg.path, Vg.renderer etc.

Best,

Daniel