* [Caml-list] Latest OCaml + Libraries on CentOS
@ 2012-02-26 10:49 David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2012-02-26 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

I've comparatively recently upgraded from an embarrassingly old version of
Fedora to CentOS 6.2. With only the default repositories enabled, the
version of OCaml and number of packages available are a bit limited
(especially compared with Fedora).

Before I go ahead and just build what I want from source, can I ask any
other users if there's a "better" way?

David

* Re: [Caml-list] Latest OCaml + Libraries on CentOS
@ 2012-02-27  1:12 ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2012-02-27  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 02/26/2012 07:49 PM, David Allsopp wrote:
> I've comparatively recently upgraded from an embarrassingly old version of
> Fedora to CentOS 6.2. With only the default repositories enabled, the
> version of OCaml and number of packages available are a bit limited
> (especially compared with Fedora).
>
> Before I go ahead and just build what I want from source, can I ask any
> other users if there's a "better" way?

You should use GODI.

It will automate getting the dependencies and building
things from source.

Regards,
F.

* RE: [Caml-list] Latest OCaml + Libraries on CentOS
@ 2012-02-27  9:52   ` David Allsopp
From: David Allsopp @ 2012-02-27  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger, caml-list

Francois Berenger wrote:
> On 02/26/2012 07:49 PM, David Allsopp wrote:
> > I've comparatively recently upgraded from an embarrassingly old
> > version of Fedora to CentOS 6.2. With only the default repositories
> > enabled, the version of OCaml and number of packages available are a
> > bit limited (especially compared with Fedora).
> >
> > Before I go ahead and just build what I want from source, can I ask
> > any other users if there's a "better" way?
>
> You should use GODI.

Yes, indeed - and I've duly kicked myself for not thinking of it in the first place :o)

@ 2012-02-26 14:09 Jonathan Kimmitt
From: Jonathan Kimmitt @ 2012-02-26 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

If you use centos 6.2 you will find many source packages from the latest fedora
are compatible using 'rpmbuild --rebuild package.src.rpm', followed by yum
install of the resulting binary. If you get the version of fedora package with
a matching libc version it is sometimes possible to install the binary from
fedora directly. Other distributions which are rpm based can be used as sources
as well, however sometimes the package options and selections are quite
different and dependencies are problematic.

The benefit of rpmbuild over building the sources directly is that flags etc
are built-in, you know it worked for some previous user, and the prerequisites
for building are identified for you, instead of getting a mysterious build
failure later on.