From: David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com>
To: "Pang, Wai (CA-CIB)" <Wai.Pang@ca-cib.com>,
	"caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] Circular dependency between Ocaml and FlexDLL
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 08:37:35 +0000	[thread overview]

Pang, Wai (CA-CIB) wrote:
> Thanks for your reply

No problem - but please keep the original message (or at least the relevant parts of it) in your reply as it makes following the thread easier. This list is more tolerant than most of "top-posting" (http://bit.ly/1pPP74T), though your email signature is a little long...

> – can you explain what is the different building
> from git clone and from tar balls. I have never used git clone.

The tarballs are just snapshots of official versions - they very nearly correspond with tags in the git repository (for example, git checkout 4.02.3 gives you the contents of ocaml-4.02.3.tar.gz plus a few extra bits that aren't included in the release).

The reason to build from git is that you can compile unreleased versions (i.e. the latest development "trunk", experimental branches or beta-branches, such as 4.03). The same is true for FlexDLL.

The benefit of the tarballs and the reason to use them normally is that they are smaller - its age means that the OCaml repository is very large (~140MB) vs a 3MB tarball.

> Is github a development build whereas tar balls are stable release builds?

Sort of - but it's more that GitHub hosts the primary public copy of the source code repository. Git/GitHub = complete history (and development); tarballs = tagged versions (not necessarily stable - http://caml.inria.fr/pub/distrib/ocaml-4.03/ contains beta version releases at the moment)

David