* native GTK+ on Mac OS X
       [not found] <20090330100002.CA4F0BBC6@yquem.inria.fr>
@ 2009-03-30 10:56 ` Pascal Cuoq
From: Pascal Cuoq @ 2009-03-30 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Joel Reymont <joelr1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do but I built from source after downloading the GTK+/OSX frameworks
> and using ./configure --with-quartz
>
> I also had to place the following two (identical) files in /opt/local/
> lib/pkgconfig since my pkg-config comes from MacPorts

Alternately, I have found that I could use
MacPorts for everything GTK+ and still get the Quartz
back-end if I follow the instructions for compiling
a native Mac OS X version of Inkscape:

http://www.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/CompilingMacOsX

For distributing binaries, I build my quartz variant of MacPorts
as a subdirectory of the installation path that I wish to use
(/usr/local/Frama-C/lib/macports), and include in the distributed
archive those libraries that are necessary for running Frama-C.
See the contents of one of the Mac OS X distributions
for details: http://frama-c.cea.fr/download.html

This unfortunately means that the
binaries can not be installed anywhere else.
Gimp.app (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/) allows
to move the application around by using a shell script
to change, at each launch, the paths in all the configuration
files that have them hard-coded. But some of the libraries
that Frama-C depends on seem to have binaries files
with hard-coded paths, so I didn't succeed in doing the
same thing.

Tangentially, I would be interested in any improvement
suggestions from people more knowledgeable that me
on the subject of gtk-quartz, displaying unicode with
pango on Mac OS X, and their interactions with OCaml.

Pascal

* Re: [Caml-list] native GTK+ on Mac OS X
@ 2009-03-30 14:08   ` Kuba Ober
From: Kuba Ober @ 2009-03-30 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> For distributing binaries, I build my quartz variant of MacPorts
> as a subdirectory of the installation path that I wish to use
> (/usr/local/Frama-C/lib/macports), and include in the distributed
> archive those libraries that are necessary for running Frama-C.
> See the contents of one of the Mac OS X distributions
> for details: http://frama-c.cea.fr/download.html
>
> This unfortunately means that the
> binaries can not be installed anywhere else.
> Gimp.app (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/) allows
> to move the application around by using a shell script
> to change, at each launch, the paths in all the configuration
> files that have them hard-coded. But some of the libraries
> that Frama-C depends on seem to have binaries files
> with hard-coded paths, so I didn't succeed in doing the
> same thing.
>
> Tangentially, I would be interested in any improvement
> suggestions from people more knowledgeable that me
> on the subject of gtk-quartz, displaying unicode with
> pango on Mac OS X, and their interactions with OCaml.

I have been running macports and gtk2 compiled +quartz +no_x11 for
quite a while now. The only snag is that instead of installing pango
you have to install pango-devel, as there is a bug that prevents pango
from compiling w/o x11 support in current MacPorts.

I'm running native gimp and other tools, and it all "just works", so I
don't
really see why you'd even need the x11 gtk.

Kuba

* Re: [Caml-list] native GTK+ on Mac OS X
@ 2009-03-30 14:12     ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2009-03-30 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kuba Ober; +Cc: caml-list

On Mar 30, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Kuba Ober wrote:

> I'm running native gimp and other tools, and it all "just works", so
> I don't
> really see why you'd even need the x11 gtk.

Does Glade work as well?

Have you tried using Glade-built GUIs with OCaml?

	Thanks, Joel

---
http://tinyco.de
Mac, Lisp, OCaml