From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To: Leo P White <lpw25@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: "Milan Stanojević" <milanst@gmail.com>,
	"Thomas Braibant" <thomas.braibant@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Quizz
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:02:02 +0900	[thread overview]

On 2015/01/14 09:09, Leo White wrote:

> Milan Stanojević <milanst@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> This means that it would now be possible to support first-class modules
>>> for types which have no name, but such support has not yet been
>>> added. (There are some awkward issues around the syntax in relation to
>>> with constraints, but they are probably solvable.)
>>>
>>> So, in summary, you can't do that, but it is now at least theoretically
>>> something you could do.
>>
>> Are there any concrete plans to add syntax support?
>
> I don't think there are any concrete plans. Jacques mentioned it was a
> possibility in a comment on Mantis:
>
>  http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=6333#c10990

The main problem is not so much syntax, as the fact it would require to make
all definitions in the Types module mutually recursive. Not only that, but
operations like path substitution need to be mutually recursive in the same
way. So the question is whether the small gain in flexibility is worth making the
implementation more complex.
(Note that an extra gain is that it becomes possible to expand a module type
definition when leaving its scope)

	Jacques