From: "Jeremy Fincher" <tweedgeezer@hotmail.com>
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] Two quick questions.
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:36:34 -0400	[thread overview]

First: I looked at the source code to the Printf module to see exactly how
Printf.printf does type checking on the format strings, since I'd like to
implement something similar (for reimplementing the "struct" python module,
which uses format strings to pack/unpack arbitrary binary data) but I
honestly had no idea how it worked.  Is something like what Printf.printf
does way too "deep magic" for a newbie to O'Caml to do, or are there any
good explanations of how it does what it does?

Second: Are there any good examples of using ocamllex/ocamlyacc to build
abstract syntax trees?  I've seen ASTs built from streams in the Caml-light
manual, and I've seen examples of ocamllex/ocamlyacc used to parse simple
languages that don't really need an AST, but I can't find any examples (with
explanations, of course :)) of ocamllex/ocamlyacc being used to actually
create abstract syntax trees for a given grammar.

Thanks,
Jeremy