* Re: [Caml-list] Applications written in O'Caml
@ 2002-04-13  0:35 Ryan Tarpine
From: Ryan Tarpine @ 2002-04-13  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

>From: Vincent Foley <vinfoley@iquebec.com>
>To: caml-list@inria.fr
>Subject: [Caml-list] Applications written in O'Caml
>Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:51:27 -0400
>
>On http://caml.inria.fr, there's a section mentionning some applications
>written in O'Caml.  I'm pretty sure this list is not quite up to date
>(considering that a very nice application, Active DVI, is not included
>there.)  I'd like to know, besides the application mentionned there and
>Active DVI, are there other significant applications written in O'Caml?

I wouldn't call this a significant application, but I thought it would be
nice to announce this now, anyway:  my science fair project.  I wrote an
interpreted programming language dubbed Orion that had a simple English-like
syntax (inspired partly by Ada), first-class functions (with closures, of
course), run-time modifiable classes, and exception handling.  One
interesting thing I added was the ability to change the class of an object
at runtime; you can change the methods it responds to, thereby changing its
interface, or (keeping the same interface) how methods are implemented (i.e.
a random number generator object could always store a seed and by changing
its class the next number could be generated differently).

Just last night was the awards ceremony, where it won special awards from
Intel and Yale and the first place in eleventh grade computer science
(getting me a half-scholarship to Drexel).  Unfortunately I did not move on
to the international science fair (only three from each grade can go; this
fair was at the regional level - Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey
area).  It wouldn't have been possible without help from this list,
especially Rémi Vanicat.  Thank you for answering all of my silly questions!

Ryan Tarpine, rtarpine@hotmail.com
"To err is human, to compute divine.  Trust your computer but not its
programmer."
  - Morris Kingston

* [Caml-list] Applications written in O'Caml
@ 2002-04-12 15:51 Vincent Foley
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Vincent Foley @ 2002-04-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On http://caml.inria.fr, there's a section mentionning some applications
written in O'Caml.  I'm pretty sure this list is not quite up to date
(considering that a very nice application, Active DVI, is not included
there.)  I'd like to know, besides the application mentionned there and
Active DVI, are there other significant applications written in O'Caml?

Regards,
  Vincent

P.S.: I also meant to ask: does anyone know schools where students are
given programming classes with O'Caml?

--

Vincent Foley-Bourgon
Email: vinfoley@iquebec.com