From: "Ryan Tarpine" <rtarpine@hotmail.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Another q about many types
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:16:30 -0500	[thread overview]

>From: Martin Jambon <m.jambon@ibcp.fr>
>To: Ryan Tarpine <rtarpine@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Another q about many types
>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:21:29 +0100 (CET)
>Maybe something like this:
>
>exception E of exn
>exception E_1 of t1
>exception E_2 of t2
>
>try ... with
>   E e ->
>     match e with
>        E_1 x1 -> x1
>      | E_2 x2 -> some_conversion_to_t1 x2
>

>Martin

I though this was a great idea, but then I hit another roadblock.  You
couldn't see this was coming from the info I've given so far, of course  :)
In actuality, my objects are more like this:
  type 'a my_object = { object_ivs : 'a my_object my_table; object_data : 'a
ref }

object_ivs stores the object's independent variables (my_table is basically
an association table, where a name lookup finds a variable; ignore it).
object_data stores the object's primitive, the actual OCaml data (int,
float, string, etc.), in a polymorphic variant.  Instances of the integer
class, for example, will have something like (`PInteger x) stored in
object_data.  object_ivs stores whole other objects, not primitives.  A
user-defined class, for example, would have something like (`PNone) in
object_data and all member variables in object_ivs.

Unfortunately, this means that in order to raise an exception with an object
of type my_object, not only its own object_data but the data of all the
variables stored in object_ivs must be of the same type.  I've tried making
the exception type like this:
  type allowed_exc = [ `PNone | `PInteger of int | `PFloat of float |
`PString of string ];;
  exception EError of allowed_exc my_object;;
to make the type of allowed exceptions somewhat lax.  But, given a single
('a my_object), how can I coerce it to an (allowed_exc my_object) if
possible?  It has to recursively coerce all the variables in object_ivs.
I've never done coercion at all before.

Thanks in advance (everyone's helped me so much already!),

Ryan Tarpine, rtarpine@hotmail.com
"To err is human, to compute divine.  Trust your computer but not its
programmer."
  - Morris Kingston