* [Caml-list] Type variables and polymorphic variants
@ 2013-03-12 21:57 Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2013-03-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello!  I use polymorphic variants extensively in my code for getting
the compiler to make sure I handle errors.  However, I'm trying to write
the following function which is proving hard, the errors are below.

I have come across similar issues before and it is related to the type
variable. I believe the problem is the [> in error because it can't know
if I return a polymorphic variant in this function if that is the error
or not.

What is the cleanest way to write this function?

val with_conn :
  host:string ->
  port:int ->
  (unit -> ('a, [> error ]) Deferred.Result.t) ->
  ('a, [> error ]) Deferred.Result.t

Error: The implementation conn.ml does not match the interface conn.cmi:
       Values do not match:
         val with_conn :
           host:string ->
           port:int ->
           (unit ->
            ('a, [> `Bad_conn ] as 'b) Core.Std._result
       Async_core.Deferred.t) ->
           ('a, 'b) Core.Std._result Async_core.Deferred.t
       is not included in
         val with_conn :
           host:string ->
           port:int ->
           (unit -> ('a, [> error ]) Async.Std.Deferred.Result.t) ->
           ('a, [> error ]) Async.Std.Deferred.Result.t

Thanks!

/Malcolm

* Re: [Caml-list] Type variables and polymorphic variants
@ 2013-03-13  2:06 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2013-03-13  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Malcolm Matalka; +Cc: caml-list

On 2013/03/13, at 6:57, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!  I use polymorphic variants extensively in my code for getting
> the compiler to make sure I handle errors.  However, I'm trying to write
> the following function which is proving hard, the errors are below.
>
> I have come across similar issues before and it is related to the type
> variable. I believe the problem is the [> in error because it can't know
> if I return a polymorphic variant in this function if that is the error
> or not.
>
> What is the cleanest way to write this function?
>
> val with_conn :
>  host:string ->
>  port:int ->
>  (unit -> ('a, [> error ]) Deferred.Result.t) ->
>  ('a, [> error ]) Deferred.Result.t
>

> Error: The implementation conn.ml does not match the interface conn.cmi:
>       Values do not match:
>         val with_conn :
>           host:string ->
>           port:int ->
>           (unit ->
>            ('a, [> `Bad_conn ] as 'b) Core.Std._result
>       Async_core.Deferred.t) ->
>           ('a, 'b) Core.Std._result Async_core.Deferred.t
>       is not included in
>         val with_conn :
>           host:string ->
>           port:int ->
>           (unit -> ('a, [> error ]) Async.Std.Deferred.Result.t) ->
>           ('a, [> error ]) Async.Std.Deferred.Result.t

The hint is in the error message:

>           (unit ->  ('a, [> `Bad_conn ] as 'b) Core.Std._result Async_core.Deferred.t) ->
>           ('a, 'b) Core.Std._result Async_core.Deferred.t

You must use an "as" to connect the types:

val with_conn :
 host:string ->
 port:int ->
 (unit -> ('a, [> error ] as 'e) Deferred.Result.t) ->
 ('a, 'e) Deferred.Result.t

Jacques Garrigue