* Re: [Caml-list] Bigarray access speed
@ 2002-08-16  6:19 Joe HELL
From: Joe HELL @ 2002-08-16  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rnyberg, caml-list

Bigarray is designed to facilitate operation on large numerical array when
used with external C functions.

Pure caml use of bigarray is generally slower.

* Re: [Caml-list] Bigarray access speed
@ 2002-08-16 18:46   ` Richard Nyberg
From: Richard Nyberg @ 2002-08-16 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc; +Cc: caml-list

> http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200110/msg00148.html

Yes. That message explained it very well :)
Thanks!

	-Richard

* Re: [Caml-list] Bigarray access speed
@ 2002-08-16 10:40   ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2002-08-16 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc; +Cc: Richard Nyberg, caml-list

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, malc wrote:
> Bigarrays(of at least floats) can have a slight edge over normals arrays.
> To get maximal speed of the inner loops data needs to be naturally
> aligned. OCaml does nothing to enforce it for non-big arrays. Bigarrays on
> the other hand are mmaped(4k on IA32) and you get perfectly aligned data
> for free. I was thinking that maybe Array can be extended with
> make[create]_aligned, for speed/space tradeoff.

Additionally, it would also be nice to have a specialized "create"
function for (naturally unboxed) float arrays such that they need not
be initialized with a given float value. This may be beneficial for
algorithms that allocate work space whose contents is not necessarily
fully needed but filled on demand.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] Bigarray access speed
@ 2002-08-16 10:27 ` malc
From: malc @ 2002-08-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Nyberg; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Richard Nyberg wrote:

> In the following small programs 3) is faster than 1) and 2), which run
> equally fast. However, 4 is significantly slower than the rest. If you
> change the line "a.{i} <- a.{i} + i" to "a.{i} <- i" the execution time
> is halfed but it's still much slower.
>
> Are access to Bigarrays slower when passed to functions? If so, is it
> fixable? or is there some workaround?
>
> I stumbled upon this while coding on a school assignment ((not too ;) fast
> multiplication of large integers).
>
> 1)
> let a = Array.make 1000000 0 in
> for i = 0 to 999999 do
>     a.(i) <- a.(i) + i;
> done;;
>
> 2)
> let a = Array.make 1000000 0 in
> let rec loop a i =
>   if i <= 999999 then begin
>     a.(i) <- a.(i) + i;
>     loop a (i + 1)
>   end in
> loop a 0;;
>
> 3)
> open Bigarray;;
> let a = Array1.create int c_layout 1000000 in
> Array1.fill a 0;
> for i = 0 to 999999 do
>   a.{i} <- a.{i} + i
> done;;
>
> 4)
> open Bigarray;;
> let a = Array1.create int c_layout 1000000 in
> Array1.fill a 0;
> let rec loop a i =
>   if i <= 999999 then begin
>     a.{i} <- a.{i} + i;
>     loop a (i + 1)
>   end in
> loop a 0;;

http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200110/msg00148.html

An aside(not all facts are cheked):

Bigarrays(of at least floats) can have a slight edge over normals arrays.
To get maximal speed of the inner loops data needs to be naturally
aligned. OCaml does nothing to enforce it for non-big arrays. Bigarrays on
the other hand are mmaped(4k on IA32) and you get perfectly aligned data
for free. I was thinking that maybe Array can be extended with
make[create]_aligned, for speed/space tradeoff.

--
mailto:malc@pulsesoft.com

* [Caml-list] Bigarray access speed
@ 2002-08-15 22:50 Richard Nyberg