From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Building a universal binary on OS X?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:41:31 +0200	[thread overview]

On 19 mai 08, at 15:07, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is this (http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/2007.09.18.html#1) the
> recommended way to build a universal binary on OS X? (To summarize:
> use a PPC version of ocamlopt and use lipo to glue the binaries
> together.)

I've realized I may not have given enough details as to what I want to
do here, so here they are.

My goal is to be able to compile the OS GUI version of Unison on a
single machine. Right now, using my intel-based notebook, I'm able to
compile a version that runs both on 10.4 and 10.5, but only on intel.

(By the way, compiling ocaml to manage this was not obvious. Here is
how to do it using godi, thanks to Gerd Stolpmann:
- net the following in godi.conf
OCAML_CONF_ARGS=-cc "gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.4"
- rebuild godi-ocaml-src and godi-ocaml
Then I can specify in Xcode that I'm targetting 10.4 as my minimum
version, and I don't get any error when linking against the ocaml
libraries.)

The next step is to be able to build Universal Binaries versions of
the ocaml libraries, so that I can tell Xcode to target both
architectures. This implies that ocaml should be able to cross-compile
to PPC, which I don't know if it can do.

I think I remember an old message addressing this, but I have not been
able to find it.

If anyone could point me to the right direction, it would be very
helpful.

Thanks,

Alan