From: Josh Berdine <josh@berdine.net>
To: Oleg <oleg@okmij.org>
Cc: francois.pottier@inria.fr, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Question on the covariance of a GADT (polymorphic
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 20:04:56 +0100	[thread overview]

> On Oct 6, 2020, at 5:05 PM, Oleg <oleg@okmij.org> wrote:
>
>> type 'a t =
>>   | Wine: [> `Wine ] t
>>   | Food: [> `Food ] t
>>   | Box : 'a t * 'a t -> 'a t
>>   | Fridge: [< `Wine | `Food ] t -> [> `Fridge ] t
>>
>> In this definition, the type parameter 'a is a phantom parameter. It is not
>> used to describe the type of a value; it is used only to restrict the set of
>> values of type "t" that can be constructed.
>>
>> The goal here is to allow storing wine and food (and boxes containing
>> boxes containing wine and food) in a fridge, but forbid storing a
>> fridge in a fridge (or a fridge in a box in a fridge, etc.).
>
> This is indeed a very `popular' problem. On June 21 this year Josh
> Berdine posed almost the same question (without wine and food, alas).
> On 28 June 2020 I sent the reply with three solutions. Perhaps it
> would be easier to point to the code, which also has many comments and
> explanations:
>
>        http://okmij.org/ftp/tagless-final/subtyping.ml
>
> The gist of the first two solutions is to exploit the fact that
> tagless-final is sort of isomorphic to GADTs. That is, lots of things
> that can be done with GADTs can be done without (or with GADTs hidden
> away). That hiding has benefit of no longer bringing the problems with
> variance. No GADTs (at least, not in the part facing the user), no
> variance problems, at least, not for the end user. The library author
> may use regular ADT, which are also non-problematic. A regular ADT
> doesn't have the same typing guarantees -- but the typing is enforced
> by the signature (at the module level), so there is no loss.
>
> I was going to write an article for my web site explaining this and a
> few earlier answers to the similar problems. Maybe I will eventually
> get to it.

Francois, your examples is way better than mine! :-)

Apologies for dropping the ball before, I got busy and there was some chaos going on.

But Oleg, thank you very much for digging into this so thoroughly and making such concrete suggestions!

There are some points I'm unsure of. My understanding of `Reducer` is that it is a way of implementing a particular (reduction) function on expressions from this little language, where rather than the "initial" approach of defining an explicit datatype for the expressions and then reducing them, you use constructor functions that eagerly perform the reduction, and extract the result with `observe`.

What I'm unsure of is how this generalizes to additional functions on expressions. For instance, suppose I also wanted to define a function which computed the set of int literals that appear in the (unreduced) expression? One possibility would seem to be to revise your second solution (say) so that `'a Reducer.t` is `'a * int list` instead of `'a`, and revise the constructor functions to compute this list of ints eagerly.

My working assumption is that which operation on the expression will be performed isn't known at the time when they are constructed. Otherwise a variant of the whole `Reducer` module could be defined for each operation, each with its own `'a t` type defined as appropriate.

More pressingly, I think, is what operations such as `map_ints : (int -> int) -> 'a exp -> 'a exp` would look like. With an initial style representation, this could be defined by traversing the abstract syntax and rebuilding it with the updated `int`s. One approach would be to change `Reducer.t` to a sort of abstract syntax, but this seems to me to lead straight back to the original `'a exp` type. This is, as far as I understand, coming up against the usual situation where the "initial" representation is syntactic in nature and the "final" representation is semantic. I don't know how much is known about handling such cases in the final style though.

Does it sound like I simply have not understood your solution? :-)

Cheers, Josh