* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt/IRIX
@ 2001-02-22 14:40 chris
From: chris @ 2001-02-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

That's encouraging. I figured it was possible, but before I went mucking
about in the configure scripts I figured it was best to see if there were
any issues.

Thanks.

--chris
<chris@satel.com>

                    Xavier Leroy
                    <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>        To:     chris@satel.com
                    Sent by:                       cc:     caml-list@inria.fr
                    owner-caml-list@pauilla        Subject:     Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt/IRIX
                    c.inria.fr

                    02/22/2001 02:12 AM

> Is it possible to build the native compiler on IRIX using gcc?

Yes, it works fine here (with gcc 2.95 on IRIX 6.5), but you have
to override manually some of the (slightly misguided) decisions made
by the "configure" script:

        ./configure -cc gcc

then edit config/Makefile and replace the lines
        NATIVECC=...
        NATIVECCOMPOPTS=...
by
        NATIVECC=gcc
        NATIVECCCOMPOPTS=-Wall -Wno-unused

In the forthcoming release 3.01 of OCaml, the "configure" script is
fixed to always honor the user-provided C compiler, if any, and revert
to the "gcc for bytecode / cc for native code" combination otherwise.

If you encounter any problems, please report them to
caml-bugs@inria.fr.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt/IRIX
@ 2001-02-22  9:12 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2001-02-22  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris; +Cc: caml-list

> Is it possible to build the native compiler on IRIX using gcc?

Yes, it works fine here (with gcc 2.95 on IRIX 6.5), but you have
to override manually some of the (slightly misguided) decisions made
by the "configure" script:

        ./configure -cc gcc

then edit config/Makefile and replace the lines
        NATIVECC=...
        NATIVECCOMPOPTS=...
by
        NATIVECC=gcc
        NATIVECCCOMPOPTS=-Wall -Wno-unused

In the forthcoming release 3.01 of OCaml, the "configure" script is
fixed to always honor the user-provided C compiler, if any, and revert
to the "gcc for bytecode / cc for native code" combination otherwise.

If you encounter any problems, please report them to
caml-bugs@inria.fr.

- Xavier Leroy

* [Caml-list] ocamlopt/IRIX
@ 2001-02-21 22:40 chris
From: chris @ 2001-02-21 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Is it possible to build the native compiler on IRIX using gcc?  We use gcc
as the standard compiler across all our platforms and would like to keep it
that way. Not to mention the cost of the MIPSpro compilers.

--chris
<chris@satel.com>