* Subject: Re: [Caml-list] mlgtk
@ 2002-12-27 19:58 SONGSU YUN
From: SONGSU YUN @ 2002-12-27 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pascal.cuoq; +Cc: caml-list

>> First, it seems that there's no more development activities going on.
>> Is that the case ?

>Yes (that is, Chinese/Korean/... "yes". English "no"), there is no
>more development of mlgtk.

>> I prefer mlgtk to lablgtk since it is easier to use, easier to
understand
>> and generates more compact code(at least on AIX system).

>I prefer it for these reasons too, but none of my current projects
>needs a GUI, so it's difficult for me to keep finding time to
>work on it.

>> The other question is about reference counting.
>> I looked at lablgtk source and saw that it implemented reference
counting,
>> but I cound not find any reference counting code in mlgtk.

>That is because mlgtk is buggy, or at least because it only works
>if used as intended.  I started to understand how gtk's reference
>counting was supposed to work just before I started to have no
>more time available available for mlgtk, so I never had time
>to fix this "bug".

>> If it is not, is it because the developers decided that it was not
>> necessary or it just wasn't implemented ?

>It's more the second one :) but everything will work fine if you
>don't try to free any gtk objects (and even if you do, it's
>only a memory leak, you might never notice :) ).

>Do you really need it, or are you asking just out of curiosity?
>I could make an effort and implement it, if you need it (and
>as Sven pointed out, the source is available :) ).

Thanks for the answer.
I was just curious.
As for doing it myself, I don't think I know OCAML/GTK well enough to do
the job :).
Thanks again.

Notes mail - SONGSU YUN/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
VM mail - IBMUSM09(yuns)
Internet mail - yuns@US.IBM.COM
Dept.;  07CA  Zip;  27A   IMD  EastFishkill
Tie Line;  533-6582   Ext; 914-894-6582

* Re: Subject: Re: [Caml-list] mlgtk
@ 2002-12-28 19:19 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-12-28 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SONGSU YUN; +Cc: pascal.cuoq, caml-list

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:58:59PM -0500, SONGSU YUN wrote:
> >Do you really need it, or are you asking just out of curiosity?
> >I could make an effort and implement it, if you need it (and
> >as Sven pointed out, the source is available :) ).
>
> Thanks for the answer.

You are welcome ...

> I was just curious.

:)))

> As for doing it myself, I don't think I know OCAML/GTK well enough to do
> the job :).

Mmm, well, i don't think it takes all that much knowledge to add the
few things you really need. All you really need to know about ocaml is
found in the chapter on C bindings, and gtk+ is well documented.

Friendly,

Sven Luther