* Re: [Caml-list] Updates for Ensemble release 1.31
@ 2001-11-22  5:53 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2001-11-22  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick M Doane; +Cc: caml-list

Patrick,
   Yes, there are examples for this, however, I haven't completed porting
the
graphical demos to the newer LablTk library.

   In any case, integrating networking with Tk isn't simple because you
need
to change the way alarms and timers work. This is handled in Ensemble by
an added layer of abstraction for alarms. You can take a look at how this
is done to get some ideas (file ensemble/trans/htk.ml).

     Ohad.

Patrick M Doane <patrick@watson.org> on 21/11/2001 19:48:05

Please respond to Patrick M Doane <patrick@watson.org>

To:   Ohad Rodeh/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
cc:
Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] Updates for Ensemble release 1.31

Hello,

I'm definitely interesting in network options for use on Windows
platforms. For the most part, I have found that the existing socket code
works well for me, but I have been unable to integrate this with a Tk
application.

Do you have any examples in Ensemble that work with Tk?

Thanks!
Patrick

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Ohad Rodeh wrote:

> I have ported the system to use Winsock2 on WIN32 platforms.
> Testing was done on an NT4 work-station, so WIN2000 clients should work
> as well. Performance is not optimal because Winsock2 is somewhat buggy on
> NT4. I think
> it will work much better on more advanced Microsoft OSes. Anyone care to
> comment?
>
> I've had problems with
>   - Multicast : setting the TTL and LOOPBACK
>   - Sending and receiving IO-vectors.
> So, workarounds have been placed.
>
> This update also includes some minor bug fixes, and a fix for a reference
> counting bug
> that occurs when using a mesh of TCP connections to transport messages
> between group
> members.
>
> As usual, the code can be downloaded from the system homepage at:
>      www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble
>
> For the CAML people, if anyone is interested in networking code for
> winsock2, here is your
> chance! I had to mess around with Unix exceptions, because the native
CAML
> Unix library uses
> winsock1 which has slightly different error codes.
>
> Enjoy,
>      Ohad.

http://caml.inria.fr

* [Caml-list] Updates for Ensemble release 1.31
@ 2001-11-21 17:19 Ohad Rodeh