* Re: [Caml-list] OcamlSpread 0.0.1 released
@ 2002-09-17 20:06 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2002-09-17 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yurii A. Rashkovskii; +Cc: caml-list

Just to let you know that there is a Group-Communication system written
natively in Caml:
Ensemble. www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble. The latests release
(1.38) is
dated a month ago.

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-3-6401641
IBM Haifa, storage research

                      "Yurii A. Rashkovskii"
                      <yrashk@openeas.org>          To:       caml-list@inria.fr
                      Sent by:                      cc:       hump@pauillac.inria.fr
                      owner-caml-list@pauill        Subject:  [Caml-list] OcamlSpread 0.0.1 released
                      ac.inria.fr

                      17/09/2002 04:15
                      Please respond to
                      "Yurii A. Rashkovskii"

OcamlSpread, a wrapper for a Spread (http://www.spread.org/) group
communication toolkit has a first release today.

It is quite inmature (it doesn't implement all of the kinds of
functions provided by Spread now) and probably has a couple of bugs.

At this moment OcamlSpread is distributed under the terms of GNU GPL
but will be GNU LGPL later (with notice of Spread license, too)

WARNING: This release should not be used in production.

BTW, I don't spend a lot of time to code it now (last change was about
a month ago) so contributors and/or new maintainer are welcome.

Homepage URL: http://ocamlspread.sourceforge.net/

--
Best regards,
 Yurii                          mailto:yrashk@openeas.org

* Re[2]: [Caml-list] OcamlSpread 0.0.1 released
@ 2002-09-18  9:16 ` Yurii A. Rashkovskii
From: Yurii A. Rashkovskii @ 2002-09-18  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ohad Rodeh; +Cc: caml-list

Hello Ohad,

OR> Just to let you know that there is a Group-Communication system written
OR> natively in Caml:
OR> Ensemble. www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble. The latests release
OR> (1.38) is
OR> dated a month ago.

I know about Ensemble, and even use it now. OcamlSpread was an old
library and I just decided to release it to public (may be somebody
will need it :-) )

--

@ 2002-09-20 18:57 ` Arnaud SAHUGUET
From: Arnaud SAHUGUET @ 2002-09-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MONIN Jean-Francois FTRD/DTL/LAN
  Cc: Xavier Leroy, Yurii A. Rashkovskii, Ohad Rodeh, caml-list

Re: [Caml-list] OcamlSpread 0.0.1 releasedImplementing crypto packages is a real pain.
I wrote an implementation of DES in Java in 1996. Absolutely not interesting for me.

For this kind of stuff, I think writing an oCaml wrapper on top of C library is better.

More seriously, perhaps, a well-known source of flaws is complexity.
Expressing algorithms in Ocaml is often (much) less complex than
in C...

-- That's probably true for public key cryptography. For symmetric key crypto and hash function, the algorithms are not elegant.

In companies, there is always the dilemma: make vs buy.
I think the oCaml community should think about "re-implement vs wrap". I don't think the real value of oCaml programming sits at the level of the OS or the low-level libraries.

Arnaud

* Re: [Caml-list] OcamlSpread 0.0.1 released
@ 2002-09-20 16:14 MONIN Jean-Francois FTRD/DTL/LAN
From: MONIN Jean-Francois FTRD/DTL/LAN @ 2002-09-20 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaud SAHUGUET; +Cc: Xavier Leroy, Yurii A. Rashkovskii, Ohad Rodeh, caml-list

On a first reading I tended to agree with some
of your arguments. However:

> When choosing a crypto package, there are a few points to consider:
> [...]
> - the maintenance of the package
> Flaws are being discovered everyday. It is better to use a crypto
package
> which is widely used, tested and maintained.
> [...]
> I think the last and worst thing to do is to re-implement some crypto
from
> scratch.

But what do you think of:

"When choosing an operating system, there are a few points to consider:
[...]
- the maintenance of the OS
Flaws are being discovered everyday. It is better to use an OS
which is widely used, tested and maintained.
[...]
I think the last and worst thing to do is to re-implement some OS from
scratch."

More seriously, perhaps, a well-known source of flaws is complexity.
Expressing algorithms in Ocaml is often (much) less complex than
in C...

I cannot be more specific in this case, because I did not examine
the implementations. However, as you say yourself:

> When choosing a crypto package, there are a few points to consider:
>
> - the people who implement the package

Regards,
  Jean-Francois

* Re: [Caml-list] OcamlSpread 0.0.1 released
@ 2002-09-20 14:45     ` Arnaud SAHUGUET
From: Arnaud SAHUGUET @ 2002-09-20 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy, Yurii A. Rashkovskii; +Cc: Ohad Rodeh, caml-list

When choosing a crypto package, there are a few points to consider:

- the people who implement the package
(Good) crypto algorithms are usually secure on paper. But when translated in
code, this is not always the case.

- the range of algorithms supported
Actually this is not so critical because most protocol start with a
negociation phase.

- the maintenance of the package
Flaws are being discovered everyday. It is better to use a crypto package
which is widely used, tested and maintained.

- the license

openSSL seems to be a really good contender. Sun announced yesterday that it
is donated its Elliptic Curve crypto implementation (ECC)  to the project.
That's really for embedded devices because ECC offers the same level of
security with much smaller key size.

I think the last and worst thing to do is to re-implement some crypto from
scratch.

regards,

Arnaud

From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-09-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yurii A. Rashkovskii; +Cc: Ohad Rodeh, caml-list

@ 2002-09-18 22:44 ` Blair Zajac
From: Blair Zajac @ 2002-09-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ohad Rodeh; +Cc: Yurii A. Rashkovskii, caml-list

Hi,

I would be interested in hearing this discussion, so if it's
taken off list, then please cc me.

Thanks,
Blair

--