* Re: [Caml-list] productivity improvement, Ensemble as an example
@ 2002-07-30  5:45 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2002-07-30  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Well, Roy already wrote that that part of the introduction was old and out
of date.

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-3-6401641
IBM Haifa, storage research

                      Oleg
                      <oleg_inconnu@myrealbo        To:       caml-list@inria.fr
                      x.com>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                      Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] productivity improvement, Ensemble as an example
                      owner-caml-list@pauill
                      ac.inria.fr

                      30/07/2002 02:49

On Sunday 28 July 2002 03:39 am, Dmitry Bely wrote:
> I am not familiar with Ensemble, but they say in its overview that
>
> http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble/overview.html
> [...]
> Ensemble System.
>
> As Horus/C has matured, we have also encountered issues that recently
lead
> to a complete reimplementation of the system using a subset of the ML
> programming language. To avoid confusion, we have begun to call this
> version of our system Ensemble. The subset of ML employed for this work
> translates directly into C, which can then be compiled in a normal
manner,
> and makes no use of ML's garbage collection features. Thus, the choice of
> ML has no negative performance implications, and the code itself looks
like
> C++.
>
> Does it mean that Ensemble is *not* in fact an Ocaml application?

By that, they seem to be saying that C++ would have done an equally good
job
at improving the productivity over C.

Regards
Oleg

* [Caml-list] productivity improvement, Ensemble as an example
@ 2002-07-28  7:00 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2002-07-28  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Which site have you been looking at?

The Ensemble site is at www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble, there is
a link
to it from the Horus site (www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Horus). As for
updates,
the last time the homepage was touched was 23-July-02, and the last
distribution is
from the same date.

As for complexity, it as actually gone done, and we've been able to throw
away some
code as OCaml has evolved. I don't think C has evolved much (C99 ?) in any
way that
it had helped us.

You can take my word for it, the line count, complexity etc. in a C version
that does the
same as Ensemble was a lot higher.

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-3-6401641
IBM Haifa, storage research

                      Oleg
                      <oleg_inconnu@myrealbo        To:       sajuma@utu.fi
                      x.com>                        cc:       caml-list@inria.fr
                      Sent by:                      Subject:  [Caml-list] productivity improvement (was: Rule based
                      owner-caml-list@pauill         language)
                      ac.inria.fr

                      27/07/2002 12:08

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 06:31 pm, sajuma@utu.fi wrote:

> Anyway, problems in memory management and modularity
> only appear when the programs become big. Usually big
> programs are not written in two languages, so comparison
> is hard. But the example of Horus vs. Ensemble shows that
> there is very large improvement.

Do you have links/references? (Although the fact that ML is more productive

than C is quite believable to me) I found Horus/Ensemble web site. It looks

like it has not been updated in 5 years[1]

> [...] why are you using C++?

It's very easy to give simple examples of when C++ is much more productive
than C in programs defined by their I/O (If anyone needs such examples: a)
reverse a file, b) reverse lines in a file c) /usr/bin/sort ). The
situation
seems to be different with O'Caml vs C++.

Regards,
Oleg

[1] Maybe the complexity has cought up with them eventually :)