* [Caml-list] Ensemble version 1.40 released
@ 2002-12-19  8:42 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2002-12-19  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horus-l, caml-announce

List,
   A new release is now available from the system homepage at www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble,
enjoy!

  RELEASE_NOTES for Ensemble version 1.40

Author: Ohad Rodeh
Last updated: 19/December/2002

RELEASE_NOTES

  This release primarily solves a long standing problem with the use
of DLLs on win32 platforms. CE was rewritten so as to compiled into a
DLL instead of a static library. Since JNI requires shared libraries,
this finally allows cejava to work on win32 and not just Unix. The second
problem solved in this release is the gossip bug on win32, this was due
to problems with UDP sockets.

The major change in the CE API is in memory allocation
conventions. Instead of the application allocating memory chunks, such
as arrays of destinations and vectors pointing to C-memory chunks, CE
now copies these auxiliary buffers into its own memory areas. This
completely separates the memory areas used by the application and
CE/Ensemble. The only sharing occurs for message bodies which are not
copied. To this end the application must set the message alloc/free
functions used by CE for messages, for example:

    ce_set_alloc_fun((mm_alloc_t)malloc);
    ce_set_free_fun((mm_free_t)free);

will allows messages allocated by the application using malloc to freed by Ensemble.

The API change would require CE applications to be modified for the
new memory conventions, which is not a "good thing". This was done
primarily to allow using DLLs, where each DLL keeps a private copy of
LIBC. Therefore, memory allocated by one DLL (the application) cannot be
freed by another DLL (CE). In the longer term, it separates the
application and library from each other and should make developement
easier. It also saves allocations for iovector arrays and destination arrays on
the critical message send path.

OCAML COMPILER VERSION
  We are using version 3.06 for this version.

PORTABILITY
  This version was tested on Linux (RedHat 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, i386 architecture) and windows XP.

* [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
@ 2002-12-19 14:52 ` Christophe Raffalli
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.50.0212200051070.6076-100000@home.oyster.ru>
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2002-12-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Did anyone succeded in compiling lablGL under cygwin ?

I have the proper libopengl32.a and libglu32.a in /lib/w32api prodided
by the cigwin opengl package and uses the proper -cclib -lopengl32 and
-cclib -lglu32, but linking never manages to find the openGL
functions ?

--
Christophe Raffalli
Université de Savoie

tél: (33) 4 79 75 81 03
fax: (33) 4 79 75 87 42
mail: Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr
www: http://www.lama.univ-savoie.fr/~RAFFALLI
IMPORTANT: this mail is signed using PGP/MIME
At least Enigmail/Mozilla, mutt or evolution
can check this signature

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 252 bytes --]

* Re: [Caml-list] Ensemble version 1.40 released
@ 2002-12-20  9:27 ` Mike Potanin
From: Mike Potanin @ 2002-12-20  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-announce

Can Ensemble building on FreeBSD?
gmake all CAMLLIB=/usr/local/lib/ocaml
produse error:
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/pm/lang/ocaml/ensemble/demo'
cd ce ; gmake		  ; gmake	 install
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/pm/lang/ocaml/ensemble/ce'
gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `libce', needed by `all'.  Stop.
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/pm/lang/ocaml/ensemble/ce'
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/pm/lang/ocaml/ensemble/ce'
cp -f libce* ../lib/-
cp: libce*: No such file or directory
gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/pm/lang/ocaml/ensemble/ce'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

* Re: [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.50.0212200051070.6076-100000@home.oyster.ru>
@ 2002-12-20 12:38     ` Christophe Raffalli
From: Christophe Raffalli @ 2002-12-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malc, caml-list

malc wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Christophe Raffalli wrote:
>

>>Did anyone succeded in compiling lablGL under cygwin ?
>>
>>I have the proper libopengl32.a and libglu32.a in /lib/w32api prodided
>>by the cigwin opengl package and uses the proper -cclib -lopengl32 and
>>-cclib -lglu32, but linking never manages to find the openGL
>>functions ?
>
> Wrong headers? Most likely your headers declare GL functions as stdcall,
> and cygwin libraries contain cdecl ones (or vice versa)

And then what do I do ?
How can I be sure that this is the problem ?

--

@ 2002-12-20 13:01   ` Mike Potanin
From: Mike Potanin @ 2002-12-20 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-announce

After same patchs
gmake all CAMLLIB=/usr/local/lib/ocaml ENS_MACHTYPE=i386 ENS_OSTYPE=freebsd
say:
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/home/pm/lang/ocaml/ensemble/ce'
gcc -c -DINLINE=inline -O3 -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -I
/usr/local/lib/ocaml -I ../lib/i386-freebsd \
ce_misc.c -o ce_misc.o
In file included from ce_internal.h:23,
                 from ce_misc.c:6:
ce_actions.h:66: field `iovl' has incomplete type

I do not found ce_iovec_t definition. Where is it?

* Re: [Caml-list] Ensemble version 1.40 released
@ 2002-12-20 17:26     ` Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2002-12-20 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Potanin; +Cc: caml-announce

Mike,
    I've never compiled the system of FreeBSD, but theoretically this
should not be a problem. The specific problem you're having is the
definition of ce_iovec_t (found in e_iovec.h in socket/s/unix/e_iovec.h)
to a "struct iovec". Seems like on FreeBSD a "struct iovec" is not defined
in <sys/socket.h> or the "regular" places.  You'll have to find where this
is defined and add the appropriate include statement in the code.

By the way, lets take this discussion off the "caml-announce" mailing, as
it is not the appropriate place for it. Feel free to either mail me
directly, or cc the caml mailing list/ensemble mailing list.

Hope this helps, and please send me patches for FreeBSD. I'll include them
in the sources.

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-3-6401641
IBM Haifa, storage research

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Mike Potanin          |
|         |           <potanin@mccme.ru>    |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           owner-caml-list@pauill|
|         |           ac.inria.fr           |
|         |           20/12/02 15:01        |
  |       To:       caml-announce@inria.fr                                                                                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] Ensemble version 1.40 released                                                                                   |