* [Caml-list] OCaml games mailing list?
@ 2004-08-10  7:41 Brandon J. Van Every
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Brandon J. Van Every @ 2004-08-10  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

I am curious if enough people are interested in writing games with OCaml
to start a mailing list about it?  Give me some kind of a straw poll
here.  If I've got handful of people who will talk, then I'll do it.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com
Brand*n Van Every               S*attle, WA

Praise Be to the caml-list Bayesian filter! It blesseth
my postings, it is evil crap!  evil crap!  Bigarray!
Unboxed overhead group!  Wondering!  chant chant chant...

@ 2004-08-10 10:57 ` Sven Luther
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Sven Luther @ 2004-08-10 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: caml

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:41:46AM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> I am curious if enough people are interested in writing games with OCaml
> to start a mailing list about it?  Give me some kind of a straw poll
> here.  If I've got handful of people who will talk, then I'll do it.

There was a project on savanah called camelot, not much code was written, but
it included a mailing list. Maybe you can start with this one ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

@ 2004-08-10 11:16 ` Andrei Formiga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrei Formiga @ 2004-08-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:41:46 -0700, Brandon J. Van Every
<vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> wrote:
> I am curious if enough people are interested in writing games with OCaml
> to start a mailing list about it?  Give me some kind of a straw poll
> here.  If I've got handful of people who will talk, then I'll do it.
>
> Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com
> Brand*n Van Every               S*attle, WA

   I don't work with games anymore, but I'm interested.

--
[]s, Andrei de A. Formiga

@ 2004-08-10 18:24   ` Jere Sanisalo
From: Jere Sanisalo @ 2004-08-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 02:42:31AM +0000, Tony Edgin wrote:
>>I am curious if enough people are interested in writing games with OCaml
>>to start a mailing list about it?  Give me some kind of a straw poll
>>here.  If I've got handful of people who will talk, then I'll do it.
>I am interested.  Would beginner/ignorant questions be tolerated?

I'm intrested as well. And my opinion is that beginner/ignorant questions
should be tolerated as long as they're about games.

Not sure if it's the case, but I think there's a lack of game related
information (from ocamls point of view). Basic things such as structuring
the game core and so on. Would be refreshing to see some topics about this.

--
Jere Sanisalo [xm@xmunkki.org] - http://www.xmunkki.org/

@ 2004-08-10 18:58 ` Paul Snively
From: Paul Snively @ 2004-08-10 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: caml

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-08-10 20:21 ` Kenneth Knowles
From: Kenneth Knowles @ 2004-08-10 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon J. Van Every; +Cc: caml

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:41:46AM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> I am curious if enough people are interested in writing games with OCaml
> to start a mailing list about it?  Give me some kind of a straw poll
> here.  If I've got handful of people who will talk, then I'll do it.

I'll certainly lurk, and talk about easy stuff.  I'm particularly interested in
how types and functors and the rather unique OO in ocaml affect the architecture
of a game...  I tend not to talk in discussions about high-performance I/O or
numerics due to being both unqualified and pedantic :-)

Kenn

@ 2004-08-11  0:13   ` I R T
From: I R T @ 2004-08-11  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Edgin; +Cc: caml

Mildly interested.

                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-08-11  2:42 ` Tony Edgin
From: Tony Edgin @ 2004-08-11  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml

>I am curious if enough people are interested in writing games with OCaml
>to start a mailing list about it?  Give me some kind of a straw poll
>here.  If I've got handful of people who will talk, then I'll do it.

I am interested.  Would beginner/ignorant questions be tolerated?

Tony Edgin